gkealey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Database size limited to 2GB, query multiple databases without linking tables?

I'm trying to set up a simple query that links four tables. However, the tables are extremely large, all in excess of 1.5GB each so I had to split the tables up into four separate DBs. I've tried the following with no success:

1) Link the 4 tables in the DB which contains my primary key. This quickly inflates increases the file size above 2GB and won't let me go any further.

2) Build a remote query to connect the four tables. This looked promising until I tried to run the query and it became evident that it only knows to point to the last database source that you specified.

I'm running everything locally on my C drive. The data source are simple text files (1.6 million rows) from the FDA website.

I'm a relatively basic Access user so hopefully it's something simple that I'm not aware of. Thanks.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    4 tables of 1.6 million records should not add up to 1.5GB, let alone be over 1.5GB each unless they have a ridiculous amount of fields.

First off, try running the compact and repair and see if that drops your filesize. If it is indeed the tables, try removing fields you don't need. I've used a few government data files and they have entirely too many worthless fields.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    how many fields are in each of the 1.6 million records. I've got a large dataset (roughly 500,000 records with 120 data points each) that I get from an outside source and I don't have an issue with the 2gb ceiling.

Do you need *all* the fields in the text files you're receiving or just certain fields. If it's just certain fields you can just import those which will cut down on the space you use.

Also remember that access reserves space for data even if it's not actually using it so I'd compact and repair that database after you've linked the tables to see if it brings you below the limit

EDIT HAH same advice

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Great minds, my friend. Great minds

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.