ewassmer is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Form w/ Date Range query and calculations- too complex to be evaluated

Hi everyone, I've been working on the same form for a while now, and I've hit another dead end. I'm using Access 2003 and I'm a beginner. I have used VBA a handful of times. So bear with me.
    I have a table that consists of almost 200 records. There are fields for:
    Date
    Product (text)
    Yards On (number)
    Yards Off (number)
    Start Time (00:00:00)
    End Time (00:00:00)
    Unscheduled Downtime (in parts of an hour, as in 1 means 1 hour and 1.5 means 90 mins, I have a few of these fields)

In this form, I would like to be able to select a date range, and then have several list boxes or text boxes display data or calculations based on the date range. These boxes include:
    Products (should show all products processed between dates chosen) **
    Average Yards On **
    Average Yards Off **
    % Yield (Avg Yards On/Avg Yards Off)
    Actual Production Hours (Start Time-End Time minus all unscheduled downtime)
    Average Yards Off Per Hour (Yards Off/Actual Production Hours)
    ** - box displays correct data when date range selected
    I was able to get all of these boxes to work in a separate simpler form that included one date only by querying everything in a combo box and hiding the fields. I'm not sure how to explain this, but I included the form (Form1) in the attached sample database.
    I am having trouble to get all of these fields to work when involving a date range, probably because depending on the date selected, the query may include 50+ records. I get an error message that says the expression is too complex to be evaluated.

Right now, I am using two combo boxes to select the date range. For the data, I am using separate queries for each list box in the RowSource field.
    For example, the query for the Avg Yards On Field is:
    SELECT Avg(Productivity.YardsOn) FROM Productivity WHERE (((Productivity.ProdDate) Between Forms!Form2!ComboOne And Forms!Form2!ComboTwo));

I have also tried building and saving a whole separate query (QueryBetween) and chosing which fields to show in each list box, but I get the same error message.

Any suggestions on how to get all fields to display without getting an error messge? I seem to be using the right SQL since it worked in the other form.
    I should add that the table that the form is based on is constantly updated, so I need to keep everything related to that one table.
    Thanks!

Windows XP Access 2003
    An idea... DSum and DAvg? I haven't used them before, but maybe they'd help. I just have no idea how to use them.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Do you have a SQL statement in this database that is correctly calculating what you want for a single date? If not could you post that code as well so we know what the 'correct' calculation is.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Sorry I'm asking because you have two forms, form1 and form2 and in form 1 (which appears to be the single date) the PRODUCT combo box never gets populated, I get an error. But you said it was working.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm just looking at the formulas in your query and I see a couple of problems:

You have these three formulas in the SQL statement driving your form:

FormatPercent([yardsoff]/[yardson])

(((DateDiff("n",[StartTime],[EndTime]))/60)-([SetUpTime]+[CleanUpTime]+[MaintUnschedDT]+[TestUnschedDT]+[OtherUnschedDT]+[MixUnschedDT]+[RTODT]))

([YardsOff]/(((DateDiff("n",[StartTime],[EndTime]))/60)-([SetUpTime]+[CleanUpTime]+[MaintUnschedDT]+[TestUnschedDT]+[OtherUnschedDT]+[MixUnschedDT]+[RTODT])))

But you are not aliasing them, I don't know what they are supposed to mean but your FORMATPERCENT formula has a problem. If you have a yardson value of 0 your calculations are going to blow up the formula should read: iif([yardson] = 0 or isnull([yardson]), 0, [yardsoff]/[yardson])

All three of these fields should have aliases and the whole form should be (more easily) based on a query not looking up values from a specific column of your combo box.

I suspect that the dividing by zero is your problem though.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi, sorry for the delay, I had a few days off.

Form 1 does populate the Product field on my program, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you.
    I did try to base all of these on a query, but I got the same message-- probably because of the 0 issue.

What exactly does aliasing mean and how can I do so?
    And where in the SQL statement should I put the iif statement?

Thanks (again, I'm very new at this)!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Code:
    SELECT Productivity.Product, Productivity.LotNumber, Productivity.YardsOn, Productivity.YardsOff, (FormatPercent([YardsOff]/[YardsOn])), (((DateDiff("n", [StartTime], [EndTime])) / 60) - ([SetUpTime]+[CleanUpTime]+[MaintUnschedDT]+[TestUnschedDT]+[OtherUnschedDT]+[MixUnschedDT]+[RTODT])), ([YardsOff]/(((DateDiff("n", [StartTime], [EndTime])) / 60) - ([SetUpTime]+[CleanUpTime]+[MaintUnschedDT]+[TestUnschedDT]+[OtherUnschedDT]+[MixUnschedDT]+[RTODT]))), Note FROM Productivity WHERE (((Productivity.ProdDate)=Forms!Form1!CategoryID)) 
    UNION SELECT DISTINCT Null, null, null, null, null, null, null, null FROM Productivity ORDER BY Productivity.Product;
    This is the query running your second combo box (which I assume needs to have something in it to populate the rest of the form) but it when I click the down arrow on the combo box I get an error. What is this doing on your form (look at the sample database you constructed not your original database). Are you calling a function that you've written with this code? The error message I'm getting indicates that it's likely it's trying to perform a mathematical or date function on a text field.

I took off the union part of this query statement and got a list of items in the combo box I just don't know what you're doing with the union part, is it solely so that you can get a 'null' option in your combo box?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ok I think I figured it out though I don't like the way your data is set form 2 now works as far as I can tell.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.