meijermartijn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Problem with linked tables

First I want to greet everybody over here... I just registered at the forum and I haven't been able to contribute at this forum yet. Though I hope that someone is able to help me with my problem.

I'm migrating some old access-databases to 2007 format. I do this with Access 2010 32 bits. It's a split database with a fore-end (GUI) and a backend (tables), both access. The tabled are accessed in the GUI by linked tables.

So far so good... I made some changes and everything seemed to work fine. I took both databases with me to the customer to install the new versions on their environment and what happened... there was no way to open the GUI-database. With or without touching the shift button, it wasn't doing anything. By opening the database, it directed me to the start screen of Access without opening anything.

First I thought it was because their version of Access was Dutch, while I working in an English version of Access. But some small tests made clear that that wasn't the problem. By accident I found what the actual reason was. On my own enviroment, I renamed the backend and found out that the fore-end wasn't starting in my environment anymore as well.

So it seems that whenever the backend isn't at the position the fore-end expects it to be.... it just refuses to do anything. It doesn't give you the chance anymore to relink either.

I figured out that by deleting the tables and relink them at my customer's environment will probably solve this problem, but this behaviour - in my eyes - is a bit weird. Is there another work around to solve this problem. Does anybody know if there's a possibility to relink the tables, although the database doesn't start?

Just curious if someone else faced the same problems....

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Usually, before splitting, I make a copy of the database for future versions. Before splitting the database, I place it in the final location of the backend. Once split, the frontends will be pointing to that location and you don't have to mess with anything. And alternative to what you did would be to use the linked table manager to refresh the links, instead of deleting and re-linking them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    Usually, before splitting, I make a copy of the database for future versions. Before splitting the database, I place it in the final location of the backend. Once split, the frontends will be pointing to that location and you don't have to mess with anything. And alternative to what you did would be to use the linked table manager to refresh the links, instead of deleting and re-linking them.
    The fact is, I can't access the final location from my devopers environment... and the problem is that the datebase doesn't start anymore, so there's no way I can access the linked table manager.

Windows XP Access 2003
    if you can get access open and do a compact and repair, it might help. otherwise, i hope you made a backup.

I can still open the database in my own environment, so there's no problem. The problem is at the operational environment. I have issues installing the release. For a compact repair, you need to have your database opened as well.

Like I said.. there is a work-around... I'm developing the database in c:/temp, and install the database in the same directory at my customer's pc at first. Make a copy of the backend and relink them there.

I just wondered if someone knew this problem and if someone knew why this is happening and if there are other work-arounds.

Windows XP Access 2003
    what's so special about the operational environment. I'm wondering why it's not working. I assume it's a network drive that all users have access to.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You can, with VB Code, re-establish the links to your back end without having to do any re-coding, or using the linked table manager. You would just have to maintain a small data entry screen with user input as to where the back end database is found. then use that user defined location to refresh the links and bingo, you're back in business. You can also do this automatically where it will refresh table links when the database starts up.

Here's a simple example. There are two databases in the zipfile

LinkTestFE.accdb and LinkTestBE.accdb. It doesn't matter where you put them just make sure macros are enabled or it won't run. It should be pretty self explanatory from there.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.