jhawkins49 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Question Import data from Excel

I have generally numeric data from a datalogger open and saved in Excel. My Access table is defined with numeric-single-fixed fields for these data. All goes well importing it into my Access table using the import wizzard until a cell in Excel has a text ('NAN") indicating an error in taking data. Is there any was to set-up Access to simply ignore such text nonsense and just leave its field as null?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    What happens - does the import abort? Does the wizard send that data to an error table?
    Last edited by June7; 08-23-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawkins49 View Post
    Is there any was to set-up Access to simply ignore such text nonsense and just leave its field as null?
    Actually, these cells in the Access datasheets DO end up as Nulls, because they're usually thrown out to an error table and the cells they were supposed to be in don't get any data.

So if that's all you want, and the wizard is actually like it should be acting, all you'd have to do is import and destroy the error table.

Using the wizard and getting the data from Excel, the import would just fail and I'd get no data in the table.
    I learned from another thread that importing from text (csv), text files would be ignored and all the numeric data would be imported. My initial attempt worked, but I haven't tried enough examples to feel 100% confident. And I don't know why data from Excel is treated differently.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I just used wizard to test an import from Excel with text values in a field identified as numeric. The import completed and the incompatible data generated records in an error table. So something else is wrong with your situation.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Si!

I, too, got it to work, but I'm not sure what fixed it. Thanks for your input!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.