Security Database

I am trying to design a database for a security department for a college. I want to display information for students and their guests that they check in. I want to have the guest name as the main source of information. When the guest name is found I want it to show which student checked them in and on what date. I want to be able to see each record of the student being on campus and who checked them in. The guest can be checked in by the same student multiple times so I need a solution to allow access to recognize duplicate names and information.

I would like to have a form that will allow me to input and view data at the same time. I also want the form to update both tables of information (I am assuming that I would use different tables for this to work).

I need help creating the tables so they can speak to each other correctly in their relationships. I think I need a one to many.

Please help.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    you need a student table. and if there are repeat guests you need a guest table.

and you need a visit table; where you will record the student key, guest key, time, date, etc.

as an aside - your need for a guest table is identical to most retail and whether or not they need a customer table. If you simply want to write the guest name each time then you don't need a guest table just write it into the visit table. But if there is alot of info i.e. addresses, tels, blah blah blah and they are repeat customers - then the guest table saves you time in the long run - your call. its situational.

but then the rest of your questions are more or less basic reporting or query questions. get yourself an Access textbook at Amazon or any large book store and you'll find lots of examples on these.

hope it helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.