jwreding is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Combining results from unrelated tables

First of all, I did search this forum for all threads with "combine" in the title, but couldn't find exactly what I'm talking about here. If it has been discussed before, please bear with me.

The situation is as follows.

The scenario:

I work at a freight brokerage company. We currently collect and manage three different types of rates in three spreadsheets. I have prepared and normalized all of the data and created a table in our DB for each collection of rates.

Before I list the tables and relationships, let me preface it by saying that there are business reasons for these tables being laid out the way they are, so making too drastic of changes to them isn't very feasible.

The tables:

As indicated, I have three tables (primary key is *, foreign keys all have ID in name)

tblCustLanes

*LaneID
    CustomerID
    VendorID
    ConsigneeID
    Miles
    CustomerRate
    FSC
    TCU
    Loop
    XStop
    Notes
    DateEntered

tblRouting

*RoutingID
    LaneID (tblCustLanes)
    FleetID
    Priority
    FleetRate
    FSC
    EmployeeID
    ContactID
    Notes
    DateEntered

tblMRD

*MrdID
    CustomerID
    FleetID
    OriginCity
    OriginST
    DestCity
    DestST
    FleetRate
    EmployeeID
    ContactID
    Notes
    DateEntered

Relationship: 1 tblCustlanes record to n tblRouting records

tblRouting contains rates from our carriers for business that we actually do. tblCustLanes has the information pertaining to the customer, and we can have many carriers for one lane, thus many tblRouting records for one tblCustLanes record.

The MRD contains "fishing" rates, i.e. rates that carriers have provided us on potential lanes, but we do not have any information other than city-city. Since the lane is not "real" and contains no other information, we do not want to include it in tblCustLanes for multiple reasons.

This situation would be fine in and of itself. However we wish to see rates from both tblRouting and tblMRD combined into one list. This was possible when everything was in Excel, because I just had a macro that would copy/paste the info from both spreadsheets into one, and leave blanks where there was no information. Obviously a query doesn't work that way, so I'm at a loss as to how to mimic this functionality in Access. Here is what I want the end result to be:

CustomerName
    FleetName
    OriginCity
    OriginST
    DestCity
    DestST
    FleetRate
    EmployeeName
    ContactName
    Notes
    Date

The kicker is that the cities and states would come from the city/st fields in tblMRD, but come from separate Vendor and Consignee tables for tblCustLanes.

I don't know much about union queries, but don't think I can accomplish this with one, since the tables really don't have anything in common, and both are using related tables. Can anybody help me with this? I really need to find a way to create results similar to the way it is currently done in Excel, otherwise I have no argument for bringing it into the DB.

Thank you for reading this exhausting post!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    can you give an example of what your data would look like in each table and what you want the output to look like. I think a union query will do what you want it's just a matter of figuring out what you want to see. You're referencing fields in your output that you don't have in your examples but that's understandable (customer name would be on a customer table for instance). Your tblRouting and tblMRD tables do have some fields in common but do you want to list ALL routing and ALL MRD with this query or do you want to only show items for a specific employee ID etc.

Windows XP Access 2007
    rpeare...thanks. Yes, I meant to imply that I'd be getting several fields from other tables, such as tblCustomers (using CustomerID of MRD and Routing).

I want to start by listing ALL Routing and MRD records. Once I get that figured out, I can start playing with grouping, criteria, etc.

Where it seems to be breaking down (at least mentally for me) is combining the city/st data, since in the MRD it is a text field and in the Routing it comes from foreign tables. It might just be because I'm not at all familiar with union queries.

Here is a sample of one record in each table, and the desired output:

tblCustLanes
    *LaneID: 1042
    CustomerID: 2034
    VendorID: 1046
    ConsigneeID: 1503
    Miles: 234
    CustomerRate: $450
    FSC: Y
    TCU: Y
    Loop: N
    XStop: N
    Notes: Stuff
    DateEntered: 3/1/10

tblRouting
    *RoutingID: 1001
    LaneID: 1042
    FleetID: 1034
    Priority: 3
    FleetRate: $300
    FSC: Y
    EmployeeID: 3904
    ContactID: 1203
    Notes: Blah
    DateEntered: 5/5/11

tblMRD
    *MrdID: 1050
    CustomerID: 3402
    FleetID: 2305
    OriginCity: Indianapolis
    OriginST: IN
    DestCity: Columbus
    DestST: OH
    FleetRate: $250
    EmployeeID: 3409
    ContactID: 2405
    Notes: Hi
    DateEntered: 6/1/11

Now, I want to get all records from tblRouting and tblMRD. Notice each tblRouting record has a foreign key for LaneID, which relates to the LaneID of tblCustLanes...which in turn has VendorID and ConsigneeID. These relate to a tblVendors and tblConsignees, respectively. Each of those tables has a city/st. So I want to populate the OriginCity and OriginST of the output with the VendorCity and VendorST, and populate DestCity and DestST with ConsigneeCity and ConsigneeST.

Desired output:

qryCombinedRtgMRD

This would be from tblMRD record 1050:

CustomerName: Bob's Widgets
    FleetName: ABC Trucking
    OriginCity: Indianapolis
    OriginST: IN
    DestCity: Columbus
    DestST: OH
    FleetRate: $250
    EmployeeName: Jon
    ContactName: Bob
    Notes: Hi
    DateEntered: 6/1/11

This would be from tblRouting record 1001, and use info from tblCustLanes record 1042 (I'm not going to show all related tables for clarity's sake, so assume the below information comes from these tables)

CustomerName: Carpet World
    FleetName: On-Time Transport
    OriginCity: Chicago
    OriginST: IL
    DestCity: Milwaukee
    DestST: WI
    FleetRate: $300
    EmployeeName: Jeff
    ContactName: Joe
    Notes: Blah
    DateEntered: 5/5/11

Again, these different tables, although containing similar information, serve two very different purposes, so combining them is not an option (except in the special case, which is the basis for needing this query!)

Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    so assume for the sake of argument that this is your entire dataset (the three examples you have showed.

What do you want your OUTPUT to look like?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry if I wasn't clear...the output should be the two records at the bottom. I edited the post to put a bold header on that section since I got long winded again.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Here's an example.

I left you three queries, one is the actual union query, but you can see how I built the portions of it with the two UNIONBASE queries

Windows XP Access 2007
    rpeare you are a consummate genius. Thank you so much for taking the time to create this for me.

So, if I'm understanding the concept right, I just need to mask the resultant field names in each query to have the same name, then combine them with the union query.

Again, union queries are foreign to me (to be honest, SQL in general is not yet a strong suit), but I can work through that and learn more about them. This definitely gives me a good foundation to work from.

Thanks again!!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think that the union query will inherit the field names from the FIRST portion of the query regardless of what you do (I'm not certain). I just name everything the same because it helps me match up the portions of the union query and what they are supposed to represent (because I'm old and I need these visual reminders)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.