Casper2012 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

^^^Pulling out my hair with a form!!!

I have a database that I have been battling with for a few weeks. The task seems easy but, I need some help.

I have a database that I need to be able to search by customers phone numbers. Which a can do now by setting my criteria.

So now, I have my data on the screen, filtered by the phone numbers... but now I need to be able to click the customer I choose to be able to open their record to enter data in the form.

Sounds easy enough, but i am stumped....

Oh yea, here is the kicker.... after I query my data by phone number, I really would only like to open that record with the name, number, and company fields already populated for me.

I am really hoping that someone on here can help me with this task. If anyone has a working database that has an example of this, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated !!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    have you got a sample database to work with. it's easier to point you in the right direction if you've got something to start with.

Yes, I have a database that I have started.....

here is the post.

thanks for any help you could give!

recon2011 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    One of the easiest ways is to use a macro to open a form you have created to contain the controls you need. Create a macro and select OpenForm. Set the Action Arguments to
    Form Name: YourFormName
    View: Form
    Filter Name: leave blank
    Condition: [YourControl]=[Forms]![YourFormName]![AssociatedControl]
    Data Mode: Whichever you prefer - set to read only if you don't want the data to be edited from here
    Window Mode: Normal

Name the macro and then select the form. Open the properties window and select the property of the control you wish to use, such as phonenumber, Scroll down to OnDoubleClick or OnClick and click tohe down arrow. Select the macro you just created and save the form. It should now open the new form when you double click or click the control on your form and open the new form. I would also highlight the control so you know it is a link.

Good luck.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi Casper,

took a look at your database table, and if you really want to continue with this database, I strongly advise to normalize your database (there's a lot of cool stuff on the net concerning this subject) and split the one table in several related tables before building your forms.
    Otherwise you might run into a lot of problems later on.

succes
    NG

Thanks NoellaG-

I have heard about normalization but I am fairly new to access. Could this be giving me my problem with having duplicates in my data?

I will do some search on the web this weekend for normalization....

any pointer to look for while I am checking it out?

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help!

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

normalization will surely help you to avoid doubles 'that's one of the main purposes). You can start at http://www.databasedev.co.uk/databas...on_basics.html, but there's a lot of other stuff about normalization on the net.

grNG

ok, so I understand that I need to break my table up some to show better relationships. I hope this can be done with the database that I already have. The ID numbers are already linked to my customers names, and it is very improtant I keep them that way. Once I change the layout of my tables, would I be able to change my database to lookup my customer by phone number and allow me to choose the one I want from the filtered list? As you can probably see, I have more than one person with the same phone number...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.