ceb39 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Displaying records from a form

I have developed a database which I use to keep track of various resource materials I have used, or are going to look at for genealogy research. To add resources I have developed a form for input data and use it to upadate data once I have reviewed it.

Everything works fine, and I have used the form to scan the table I have my data in to look at various records. This worked fine (although I will admit it is not the best way to find a record) when the table did not have much in it, now it is a different story.

What I would like to put on the form is a series of letters, like from A to Z. The purpose would be to click anyone and display only the records which begin with an A, or B, or what ever.

I thought this would easy to find as I can not believe I am the first one to think of something like this, but after a week of searching the net I have yet to find something like this.

I have found similar examples and coding for things similar and I believe they will work, but want to make one more pass to determine if the technique I first thought of had already been accomplished by someone else. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions would appreciate it.

Thanks

Chuck

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Have you tried using a ComboBox for this function?

ceb39 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Combo Box

Have thought about that approach and have not complete ruled it out. Just can not believe that there is not an Access form out there with A through Z on it to select what ever A through Z represents.

Will probably end up writing the function to pass a leter to it and then generate the report I want. May even end up with a combo box to select the letter and pass it.

Thanks for the input, though.

You're welcome and have fun.

ceb39 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have finally solved this problem, and it was much easier than I thought it was going to be, thanks to F. Scott Barker who wrote Access 2003. On page 37 of his book he explains "Parameter Queries." When using his described technique I end up with four lines of SQL code and the query does it all. It requests my input, takes it, sorts the records, list the records which start with the letter selected like an A or R, or whatever. Only thing I have to do is put a button on my form which when clicked runs the query, wil probably code the button so when it is clicked again the displayed report is removed.

Thanks for you input on the Combo Box as that started me searching and lead to this find.

Chuck

Excellent! Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.