aaa1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

reports to forms to queries

I am a newbie to access.

I want the report to print out the results after taking requests from the form and then to a query and then to the report. Is that possible?
    Or a from to a query and then to a report directly?

Please let me know on this..
    Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't really understand your description.

Reports can be filtered by criteria entered on a form. There is more than one way to accomplish this. One is by input parameters in the query the report is based on. The input parameters would be references to controls on the form.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

aaa1 is offline Novice
    Basically I need to output results on the report based on criteria on the form.

In this process my control first goes to the report.Report redirects to the form after making itself hidden. The form then takes the criteria input. This criteria is transferred to a Query and the report, which is initially based on the query.

I am actually stuck at the Openform method which is part of the Onload method of report.What have to be the Openargs, as i am not sending any parameters to the form from the report. I am getting an error at the Openform, mainly due to no Openargs present.

Is this way correct.Please advice me on the code to be put in the report Onload method.

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    I still don't understand what you are trying to do. Why open report first and what is accomplished by then directing focus to the form, form takes criteria input from where? I have never done anything like this. I have never opened a form from a report. I consider a report the culmination of a process, not an intermediate step. If I can't understand what you are doing, I can't advise on code to use.
    Last edited by June7; 08-10-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

aaa1 is offline Novice
    Sorry for not helping you understand.
    I have a form that takes in a required data from fields. Queries are triggered based on this and the result from the queries have to be displayed on the forms.

I heard that its impossible to display the results out on the report in this manner.

Please let me know if you understood the scenario.

Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Not sure I understand. What do you mean by 'trigger' a query?

Reports are bound to tables or queries to produce desired output. No reason to 'trigger' a query. Open the report that has query as its RecordSource. Queries can refer to controls on form as input parameters.

Report RecordSource can be a saved query object or use the query designer right in the report's RecordSource property to construct the SQL statement.

aaa1 is offline Novice
    So after clicking on the submit button in the form how do we output the results onto the report?

Can you please advise me with some code on this action?

June7 is online now VIP
    Code (macro or VBA) is one way to send filter criteria to the report when it opens. Uses arguments of DoCmd.OpenReport

Another way is to have the query refer to the controls on the form as input parameters, as long as the form remains open.

In the query design view, in the criteria row enter reference to the form control, like: Forms!formname!controlname.

Now use this query as the RecordSource for report.

randman1 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Your report cannot not open a form to collect criteria then feed that criteria back to the report. You simply use the form to collect the criteria, click Submit, then open the report by passing the criteria in the DoCmd.OpenReport method.

One example might be a report to show employee information. The report's RecordSource will be a query like:
    Code:
    SELECT EmpFirstName, EmpLastName, Dept, HireDate FROM tblEmployees
    If you were to open this report from the DB window, it would display all records in the tblEmployee table. Now let's say that you have a form with three textboxes: txtDept, txtStartDate and txtEndDate. The user fills in the the textboxes with the appropriate information and clicks the Submit button. The code behind the Submit button would look like:
    Code:
    Private Sub cmdSubmit_Click
       Dim strWhere as String
       strWhere = "Dept = " & Me.txtDept & " And HireDate Between #" &  Me.txtStartDate & "# And #" & Me.txtEndDate & "#"
       DoCmd.OpenReport "rptEmployees", acViewReport, , strWhere
    End Sub
    This will now open the same report as before but rather than displaying all records in the tblEmployees table, it only displays the ones from the specified department and having a hire date between the two dates specified on the form.

June7 is online now VIP
    Good examples randman.

Here is another recent thread on this same issue https://www.accessforums.net/queries...ort-16039.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.