1eye1vision is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Transfer Data from Old DB to New

I have a DB, and have updated some of the tables in the new version, some of which have extra fields.

when i deploy this DB i need to be able to copy all the old data from the previous version into the new DB.
    Is there a way this can be acheived with VBA.
    I will need to be able to get the user to select the Backend from which the data will be imported.
    Once the import is done, the db will have to check to see if an import has been completed and if so carry on loading.

Many Thanks in advance

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The standard way is to make sure that the database is split and that the backend has the tables and the frontend everything else and that local tables to the frontend which are used for things like lookups and/or user specific data are not storing data that would need to be retained. Then you would just modify the backend as needed and then deploy a new frontend. No transferring of data would be necessary.

If the database is a single file then it does become much more painful when trying to update things. So the thing you are asking for is very code intensive and it is very dependent upon what is there so you would have to write it basically each time you have to make changes.

The front and backend are separate, the problem is the data that is in the old backend is still required, i understand that this would be code intensive, but is something that will need to be done. All the Tables are in the backend, which is where the data is stored,

So do you actually need to copy the data or can you simply add the tables and fields on the fly? The reason I ask is that I have a free backend auto updater which might be able to add what you need to add, revise what you need to revise, but only if no defined relationships need to be modified.

See it on my page here:
    http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/freetools

No, i also need to copy the data, the data is required. But thanks for the link, i will take a look

Quote Originally Posted by 1eye1vision View Post
    No, i also need to copy the data, the data is required. But thanks for the link, i will take a look
    So you have new data going into tables that already have data? What kind of data would that be?

No, it's the other way round, i have old data going into new tables which have been updated with extra fields, but some of these fields have relationships added.

I have now resolved the issue of updating the Backend of my DB, Adding fields and making Primary Keys... The following link is to the code that i used on Rogers Access Library. Fantastic piece of coding... A few changes had to be made for it to work with my DB but all sorted and will be able to deploy Frontend and change the Backend.
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/f...-d71bb7af.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.