foxtrot is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Mobile Forms

Hi, i'm running a ms access database 2010 for sales purposes. I want to take it one step further to allow my sales people in the field to access business information on their mobiles and to update information in realtime on the server at the office? While at a customer they need to call up the customers information and then to update the new information.
    Any help on where to start of to point me to sites will be appreciated.
    Thanks

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    When they are off site do they have the ability to see your server where the database is stored? i.e. something like a remote desktop connection? or are their computers stand alone with no ability to see your network?

If they can see your network it may be as simple as splitting your database into a front end/back end and giving each sales person a copy of the front end of the database.

If they can not see your network (and therefore not see your access table structure) you may have to provide them a copy of your database each day they go out that has the most up to date information.

obiron is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You have a couple of options.

VPN dialup connection to your network so that they can access the database on-line.

You can use Access as the back end database for web site so you could convert the forms to web forms (depends on how and where in access you have written validation)

Provide daily updates of the access database to sales teams via FTP / HTTP/Email - this would probably cause security issues because they are executable files and tend to be quite large. Plus you would have a nightmare job of merging all the different copies back together.

The suggestion to split the front end application and back end database is one you should take anyway for a number of reasons (source code control, ease of migration etc..)

foxtrot is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi, thanks for the comments. My database is split into a B/E and F/E. The B/E is on my server for security reasons, etc. THe mobile device i'm referring to is a Blackberry. Is it possible to view a customers information on the Blackberry and update same? If yes, how will one have to go about it? Create a form for this but how? How can one do it in MSACCESS2010? Thanks

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    There are products like this:

http://download.cnet.com/BlackBerry-...-10924017.html

that will help you interface a blackberry with access. I haven't had any experience with non-computer computers. I thought we were discussing laptops.

obiron is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I dont know anything about Blackberrys. My gut feel would be a web based solution would be easiest and would also be hardware agnostic so would work on iphone and andriod as well. You might be able to use email forms for data entry depending on the complexity of the interaction required.
    Obiron

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.