Using Linked Table Manager --Can't get it work

I have used a split Access97 DB for years, with no problems. In preparing for some computer moves, an office person moved the backend of the database and broke the link. We have been unable to get the link re-established. When bringing up the linked table manager, the front end file does not show as a file option--only one DB that I do not need to link to. I have both saved to a USB flash drive for now. When trying to open the front end, it gives the error message that the path is invalid, which of course it is. The front end is password protected, but we know the password, so that is no problem. I have changed PCs over the years and have upgraded the PC that the DB resides on, with no problems until now.

What am I probably doing wrong? Why will not the front end show in the Linked Table Manager? What should I do next? This is a very important database to the office.

Thanks in advance!!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Are you using an MDB rather than an MDE file? You should be looking for the BackEnd in the Linked Table Manager, not the FrontEnd. Will it let you browse?

thhui is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2002 (version 10.0)
    Move both the front-end and back-end mdb files to the local harddisk.

Try to link the table again.

See whether it can be done right now.

If it still cannot work, then there must be corrupted database.

Thanks for the responses. I only use .mdb databases. The network is a P2P workgroup. I have tried moving both the front end and back end to a different folder and also have copied them to a flash drive and to a fresh copy of Office 97 on a Test PC.

In all cases, I can open the back end, but when trying to open the front end, (which is password protected with the password known) I enter the password and come to an error message that the path is not valid. I have tried to recreate the path (putting the folders back to the original position), but still get the same message. The error message prevents Access from continuing to open on the front end, thereby preventing access to the Linked Table Manager. I get exactly the same error message from the frontend copied to the Test PC and also from other PCs in the office. Possibly if I could get beyond the error message, I could proceed. The back end opens fine and I can open the Linked FIle Manager there, but cannot browse to any folders.

Before the folder on the "server" was moved, the DB worked fine on the server PC. The other PCs were currently having communication problems and could not access the server. But, before the communication problmes started, it worked fine. The folder containing the DBs was moved due to downsizing the office to fewer PCs. The office person was moving files off the old PCs and consolidating them in the remaining PCs. Hence the unintentional move, not realizing the reamifications.

It would take weeks to recreate the front end, with all of the queries, forms, and reports that would have to be generated. This is important to the business, even though the data is availalbe in a raw form. I hope that
    you have some additional suggestions!

Thanks!

Recreate the Front End Database.

Try to import all you can from the old front end database. (table, forms, queries, vba, maccro, report).
    Then try again to link the backend database.

Pls put all your databases in local harddisk and disable all the passwords first.
    Most likely it is due to the front end database not working.

If it is this case, you should try to link the backend database from a clean file first.
    Try another new database whether the backend database can be linked.

You must identify where are the causes for the failure in the two database files first.

Try to identify what are causes for the failure of the linking first.

Try a new database and set the link to the backend database.

See whether there are problems in linking.

If everything OK, then it must be due to the corruption of database in front end.

I miss something of crucial importance:-

You should try compact and repair database first for any corruption of data.

Try the backend database first.

See whether it can link now.

Then try the front end next.

Do the same for the front end.

See whether it works now or not.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.