using date for groups

I am listing my DVD collection. I want any i added in last 30 days to be listed under a heading NEW DVDS in a report. Tried many things. fairly new to access

To do this, I would add a new field to the query underlying your report, perhaps titled AcquiredWhen or something like that, defined by the expression:

IIf(DateDiff("d", [DateAcquired], Now()) <= 30, "Recent Additions", "The Rest of the Collection")

Now, define your report so that it groups on that new field, and choose your sorting options accordingly.

there's more

Thanks for that but at the minute i have got the form askin what movie genre the film belongs to. The field is titled "genre". So therefore if the when the report is generated they are listed according to genre. what i want is if has been added over 30 days ago then it needs to be listed according to genre.

Also i aint had much to do with queries and how to apply them. can you suggest a good site to get some info.

sorry for sounding so dumb but only been using for 3 weeks and taught myself it all from forums and online help etc. not used any templates. built it from scratch.

many thanks

Well, you can group on more than one item. For example, if you want to see all the "new arrivals" first, sorted by genre, and then the rest of the collection, sorted by genre, then make the first group the "new arrival" field" and the second group the genre field. For vice versa, switch the order of the groups.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.