tabbycat1234 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Cant Figure This Out

Can someone look at this datebase and tell me what I am doing wrong when trying to join these forms and tables.

When I open the main form, I want to be able to click on each button and put in information under that form for that student. When I go to the second student I want to be able to do the same thing.

When I go back to student one, I want to be able to click on the button to see what I check under that student

Any help would be appreciated

June7 is offline VIP
    You did not attach file or post a link.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

It wouldn't Load

The file would not load, is there anything I can do to get someone to look at it?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Why wouldn't it load? It is an Access file over 500kb? Run Compact & Repair - still too big? Zip it and attach folder up to 2mb. If still won't load can upload to fileshare site such as box.net and post link to file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Here is the File

Thank you for the idea, here is the file in a zip folder

June7 is offline VIP
    Would have to open the form filtered to the related record. This would mean more code.

Instead, I suggest you make this a form/subform arrangement by using a tab control. Leave the Main form bound to Main table. Place the Main form controls on page 1 of the tab control. Create 4 more pages on the tab control, one for each of the 'child' forms. Place a subform container control on each of the 4 tab pages. Set the container control SourceObject, Master/Child links properties. This arrangement eliminates the need for the buttons.

These tables are related as one-to-many. Is this correct? Can each student have multiple records in each of the dependent tables? The forms don't seem to be set up to allow this.

Thanks

I appreciate your advice, I will have to research what you said to figure out how to do it. I have alot more forms that go on the main page. I deleted them so that it would load. Do you happen to know of a tutorial that would explain how to do what you are suggesting?

Each student can have only one record in the other forms. How do I change the relationship and what would I change it to?

June7 is offline VIP
    That is a one-to-one relationship. Will there always be a record in each of the dependent tables for each student? If this is the case, really could be all one table. A lot of Yes/No fields like this suggests that tables are not 'normalized'. Your data entry is simple but structure will probably cause issues when you want to query the data and manipulate for summation and grouping.

No there will not always be information in the subforms. I have had all the information in one big form at one time but I just assumed that made it to difficult. If you think it is better to leave it as one big table I might just leave it like I had it before.

June7 is offline VIP
    If there won't always be a record then separate tables is appropriate. It is the Yes/No fields that are the real concern.

Check this article about the tab control, it also has info about putting subform on tab control http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001230049.aspx

I find the yes and no fields good because if the answer is yes then the operator puts a check mark in the correct box. If the answer is no the operator does not have to do anything with that field. Is there another way that you would suggest doing that?

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, that simplifies data entry but what if you wanted to build a report that sorted and grouped records by the type of alternative media? If you don't think you will ever face this issue, then stay with what you have. It is possible to do this sort of data manipulation with your structure using UNION query, it's just a little more complicated and unconventional.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.