kman42 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Help optimizing an ugly query

Hi all,
    Let me preface this by saying I don't know what I'm doing. This is part of my first Access database and it evolved by trial and error over time, so it is extremely ugly. Therefore, I beg your patience and tolerance for a newbie.

Anyway, I am running this query as part of a report. It connects to linked tables over a network and it is dog slow. I know it isn't pretty, but if there is anything obvious that you could spot that could point me in the right direction for optimizing, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    kman

Code:
    SELECT [%$##@_Alias].InitiativeID, [%$##@_Alias].EventLocation, [%$##@_Alias].fk_EventID, [%$##@_Alias].EventPhase, [%$##@_Alias].DateOfEvent, [%$##@_Alias].ElapsedDays, DLookUp("DateOfEvent","tbl_EventLog","fk_EventID=1 AND fk_InitiativeID=" & [InitiativeID]) AS DateOfPublication
    FROM tbl_Initiatives INNER JOIN (SELECT fk_EventID, DateOfEvent, IIF(DateOfEvent<IIF(Nz(DLookUp("DateOfEvent","tbl_EventLog","fk_EventID=4 AND fk_InitiativeID=" & fk_InitiativeID),"")<>"",DLookUp("DateOfEvent","tbl_EventLog","fk_EventID=4 AND fk_InitiativeID=" & fk_InitiativeID),DLookup("Submit_To_DERA_Proposed","tbl_Initiatives","pk_InitiativeID=" & fk_InitiativeID)),"Phase I",IIF(DateOfEvent>=Nz(DLookUp("DateOfEvent","tbl_EventLog","fk_EventID=3 AND fk_InitiativeID=" & fk_InitiativeID),Now()),"Phase III","Phase II")) AS EventPhase, DLookUp('Location','tbl_Events','pk_EventID=' & tbl_EventLog.fk_EventID) AS EventLocation, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.DateOfEvent FROM tbl_EventLog AS Dupe WHERE (((Dupe.DateOfEvent)>[tbl_EventLog].[DateOfEvent]) AND (Nz(DLookup('Location','tbl_Events','pk_EventID=' & Dupe.fk_EventID),"")<>"" OR fk_EventID=1) AND ((Dupe.fk_InitiativeID)=[tbl_EventLog].[fk_InitiativeID])) ORDER BY Dupe.DateOfEvent, Dupe.pk_EventLogID) AS NextDate, IIf(Nz([NextDate],"")<>"",[NextDate]-[DateOfEvent],Now()-[DateOfEvent]) AS ElapsedDays, tbl_EventLog.fk_InitiativeID AS InitiativeID FROM tbl_EventLog WHERE (((Nz(DLookUp('Location','tbl_Events','pk_EventID=' & tbl_EventLog.fk_EventID),''))<>'')) And tbl_EventLog.fk_EventID<>1) AS [%$##@_Alias] ON tbl_Initiatives.pk_InitiativeID=[%$##@_Alias].InitiativeID
    ORDER BY [%$##@_Alias].InitiativeID, [%$##@_Alias].DateOfEvent;

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Using dlookup functions in queries is extremely inefficient, especially with larger datasets, that is likely what is slowing down your resposne time. Every time a new line in your query is processed your query has to reference EVERY RECORD in your database, and you have at least 5 dlookups in the query. I think I can safely say that's your problem.

kman42 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks! I'll try to move that functionality to subqueries or VBA and see if it improves. I see some obvious subqueries right off the bat now that you alerted me to the problem.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.