DBCox is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

.mdb Download Problem

Hi everyone,

I am new here and found this forum while searching for a solution to my problem. I searched the forum, but didn't have any luck.

I have an odd problem when downloading a .mdb file. I download a mdb file daily from a supplier's website. The file they are sharing is a mdb file (based on what they say, as well as the link target), but when I download it, it switches the file type to an accdb file...

Another issue is it seems to be random. Several weeks ago, I noticed the file type changed from mdb to accdb. I didn't think much about it because I assumed they upgraded. Well, later it went back to a mdb file. Now it seems to be a accdb file. They claim to have never switched to the accdb file type and I have yet to find the link target referencing a accdb file type. Normally I would not be a problem since I can access both file types. However, I have an Excel file linkied to it, so the file type/extension is critical to insure I get the most current data (I cannot set it up to look for an accdb file and then a mdb file is updated...)

The supplier's IT department tells me that they suspect it is a file association problem. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks!

David Cox

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A file association will *not* change a filename. How are you downloading? Do you use IE? http or FTP?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    it sounds to me like they don't have the same person supplying you the file and they each save the file they send to you differently, or export the contents they send to you differently. If you copy a file from a website, ftp site, email etc, your computer will *not* change a .mdb to a .accdb on it's own so it is on their end that they are not following the same procedure every time.

If you delete the file daily you can establish the link my checking to see if the .mdb file exists in a certain folder, if it does use it, otherwise look for a .accdb file instead. You would have to do this with VB code though, are you comfortable with vb script or are you looking for this to be permanent.

DBCox is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks for the info guys. I am downloading the file using IE8. What is odd is that if I check the link properties, it shows a .mdb file (see attachment), but when it downloads, it appears to be an accdb file...

I am heavily leaning toward a problem on the supplier's end. The file is usually around 35-40 mb and it is coming in a 13k this morning...

The only thing I can think of that *might* be a problem on my end is a cached link or something. I find that unlikely though...

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/lof.../t1680918.html

It looks like access is the culprit not IE. But it should be consistently naming the file you download the same way

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm thinking it is not Access but Windows and IE causing the issue. How about downloading with Chrome or FF?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.