m1nd64m3 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Simple inventory database

I am new to access, been working on this for about a month now. I have been searching on how to keep a count of the inventory, and all I can find are complicated methods that are way beyond the scope of what I am doing. Receiving and suppliers and all that stuff is not integrated into this database. I have a table for part number, mfr, description, quantity new, and quantity used. I then have a query that searches all this on a form, which then opens up another form with all the information above for the record requested.

What I am trying to do is have two text boxes on the form that the user can enter the amount of an item they took out of stock or added too stock, then click the update inventory button, and have it update the quantity on the table. I have created a calculation on the form that takes the original amount from the table - quantity removed + quantity added = quantity ending and that works, but I need to store the quantity ending amount back to the table. I am aware this is a no no but I am new to this, and since there isnt a receiving side to the database I have no way to keep running totals for the database to compile everytime the quantity count is needed.

My other option I was thinking if that wasn't doable is to just have the text box on the form editable and have up and down arrows next to it that would increase or decrease the stock by one depending on the arrow you click, much like you would find when you are setting the amount of copies to print in the print setup box for your browser. But I have been unable to locate anything on how to make these arrows work. I would really appreciate some help with this.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if you're using a bound form let's assume your quantity on hand is in a field called

ONHAND

add a field to your table that is unbound (not connected to any data element) name that field SUBTRACTTHIS

Create a button
    go to the ON CLICK properties of that button and add this code

ONHAND = ONHAND - SUBTRACTTHIS

your ONHAND field should update to the old amount minus any product the person enters to take out

m1nd64m3 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Perfect! thank you so much.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.