siktir23 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Contract letter concept

Hey folks,

I'm having trouble coming up with a concept that I've been asked to build a file for by someone in my company and was hoping to get some ideas from you on how to get something started.

Basically, I need to put together a contract letter generator. I need to have a full list of ALL of the paragraphs that might go into a contract my company would send to a client. I then need an interface where the user would come in, answer some basic yes/no type questions and have the database spit out a basic contract covering the areas the user identified.

I envision it exactly like some of the free legal form generator sites I’ve seen where they ask you a bunch of questions about what you need and it spits out a form for you at the end.

This project wouldn’t have to be an Access database but I’m having trouble getting started in the right direction so I thought I would ask here first. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    With each response would there be a range of options or would there be 1 option only. If you have rules that will not change and are not subject to human interpretation then there should be no problem setting the same rules up in access. If a particular response has a number of possible paragraphs you want to insert into the contract and you want to be able to select the paragraph that can be done too.

The exporting to a format that can be modified can also be done, because I'm assuming there will be revisions that happen outside of the basic structure.

What this means is that for every possible response for every possible document type you will have to have a very clear idea of what the paragraph contents are going to be. Depending on how many document types you have this could be a fairly large undertaking

Your data structure would be (without knowing much about your process)

Code:
    ContractTypeID  ContractTypeName
    1               Living Will
    2               Last Will and Testament
    Code:
    SegmentID  SegmentName SegmentText SegmentSort ContractTypeID
    1          Section 1   blah blah    1           1
    2          Section 2   blah blah    2           1
    3          Section 3   blah blah    3           1
    4          Section 1   blah blah    1           2
    5          Section 2   blah blah    2           2
    Then you'd have to set up some formatting on your reports etc and figure out a way to export it to an editable format and also have a way to insert people names, property names, etc (depending on the depth of your need) into your SEGMENT text fields before they are printed.

siktir23 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for the note rpeare,

I would think that, give your example, I could make the ContractType be the first drop-down box at the top of the question/answer form. When choosing ContractType "1", SegmentID's 1-3 would show up in the next section with check boxes to choose the sections (or paragraphs) I needed to include.

I think that structure for the table setup woudl be feasable, I'd just need to work the form/query part of the puzzle and then figure out how to export it into Word so it could be "tweaked".

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Exactly right. So if you chose Living will (let's assume for the sake of this that all paragraphs are optional) you could have three checkboxes for paragraph 1, 2 and 3. If you wanted to exclude paragraph 2 you would check paragraph 1 and 3 and then you could build your final product based on the SORTORDER of the in the SEGEMENT table.

If you want to include the person's name in any of the fields it's harder to get to but doable I think, company names, property addresses, etc could all be automatically filled in as well assuming you do that data collection. You would just have a method to say 'if I choose paragraph 1 these are the additional fields I need to show on my data entry form and they must be filled out'

This outwardly seems like a very simple project but it's likely a lot more complex than you imagine it to be right now but don't let that stop you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.