Ojaybee is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Populating checkbox options from combobox choice

Hi there,

I'm currently working with a team of scientists in the field. We have a number of transects each of which have a varying number of sample sites along them. I would like to create a data entry form that allows the choice of transect number to generate checkboxes for all the sample sites on that transect (with accompanying sample site name).

So for example, if transect A has 4 samples sites, B has 7 sample sites etc, in the form if the user were to choose transect B 7 check boxes would appear to allow them to choose which sample sites were actually sample.

This is for data entry purposes and any help would be much appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    These check boxes are bound to fields of table? Describe your data structure - tables and relationshps.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tables and links

Hi June 7. thanks for the reply. I have just the one table with two columns; transect and sample site. For example

Transect, Sample Site,
    A, A1
    A, A2
    A, A3
    B, B1
    B, B2
    B, B3
    B, B4

So the combo box has a drop down for transect. If A was chosen I would like checkboxes for sites A1, A2 and A3 to be generated in the form. the person entering the data could then choose which sample sites were used. There are hundreds of transects and sample sites. I hope this makes it clearer but let me know if you need anything else.

June7 is offline VIP
    You have only one table in the entire project? So what happens to the check box choices? What is purpose of this form? What happens after users check boxes?

I think you might really need a combobox with a dependent multi-select listbox. This thread discusses multi-select listbox. https://www.accessforums.net/forms/g...ted-15367.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi again June 7. I have more than one table in the project but I was just stripping it down for simplicity. Once the user selects the transect I want them to be able to choose which sample sites were sampled. this data will then update a records table and append the data that has been input. the sample sites are dependent upon the choice of transect but the sample sites used on each transect can vary. The table I have has all the transects and all the sample sites.

the main problem I'm having is making the check boxes, multi list table... or whatever will work best(?!?!) be dependent upon the choice made in the transect combobox.

June7 is offline VIP
    It does sound like dependent comboboxes is appropriate to your situation. Review the referenced thread and see what you think.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.