skyrise is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Unhappy How Do I link Forms and access them through a Command Button?

Have I screwed up?

I have 3 forms that are related to each other – Forms 2 and 3 contain subset information about the subject started on Form 1.

I’m getting stuck on how to link the forms together and add a button on Form 1 that will open Form 2, and a button on Form 2 that will open Form 3. The other option is to have each Form appear a tab that can be clicked by the user.

Right now, I have built each individual form (with it’s subforms). I have the Primary Key field from Form 1 on Forms 2 and 3. I can’t though, get the record number from Form 1 to auto populate on the other forms to show that all the data is related.

Is there a way to fix this and add the command buttons or tabs, or will it be better for me to take a different approach and start from scratch?

What am I missing? Did I skip a step in the process or get something out of order?

I would say that I'm trying to set up a sub form scenario. The information for one subject is being broken out into three sections (the 3 forms). Each section contains its own list of data (fields on the forms).

For example. If the database is for Car Accidents.
    Table/Form1 = Identification info
    Table/Form2 = Cause info
    Table/Form 3 = Effect info

All 3 forms contain information that pertains to 1 car accident. Each subsequent car accident record would then have its data split onto the 3 forms.

I'm used to subforms appearing imbedded on the Parent form. I would like Forms 2 & 3 to appear a full screen page (like Form 1) when they are being used.

I'm assuming that an Open Form Command Button or a Tab Page setup is the best way to try to get there?

I have attached a sample database of what I’m working on. The database I’m putting together includes a lot more fields and subforms, but the sample here provides a good mix of the variety of content I am trying to connect and relate together.

Form 1 = Study
    Form 2 = Participants
    Form3 = Study Design

There are main form fields, look up fields, multiple entry subforms.

I would like to keep these forms separated but connect them to the same data record (keyed off of Study Form 1).

Perhaps a Command Button at the bottom of each form that contains an Event Procedure that links the Primary/Foreign fields on each form and then opens the next form.

Sample as a 2002/2003 database.

mat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hello,

I think I've been wrestling with a similar problem: creating new records in a form linked to (but not a subform of) a master form.

Am I right in thinking your problem is how to automatically populate the primary key of the record in the master form as the foreign key of the new record in the child form?

I've found a way round this:
    If the master form is loaded whilst you are creating the new record in the child form, you can set the foreign key by using a hidden text box with its "default value" set to a reference to primary key control on the master form.

For example, you have a command button on frmParent that opens frmChild, and allows you to add new child records, linked on foreign key "ParentID". Simply create a hidden textbox "txtParentID". Make its control source equal to the foreign key on the Child table "ParentID" and make its default value in the Properties of the textbox equal to:
    Forms!frmParent!txtParentID.Value.
    (by the way, you need txtParentID on the Parent form too, but it can be hidden).

Then, as long as the parent form is open, it will add the new record with the correct foreign key.

Hope this helps.

maximus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    This is what I understand from your thread:

1) You have a main information table and related to that you have multiple related tables.
    2) You have created forms accordingly. A main form that is required to be filled in first. It generates the Link_ID that has to be passed on to the subsequent Link_forms when they open.

So now my suggestion:

make sure you set the Data Entry property for all your sub-forms is set to Yes. This will ensure that the Link Forms will always open blank.

Now make a commandbutton to ope a LinkForm:
    Include this code in it:
    Forms!NameofLinkForm!FieldName=Me.FieldName
    Me.FieldName is the Field whose value you want to pass on to the Link-form. See the result. Now Once you do this is this field that you update is linked to the sub-form of this link form it will take up its value.

if this solves your problem please mark the thread solved.

is your problem solved

Thanks guys, this is solved.

mark this thread solved

funi.t is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    hi I have a similar problem but the forms that I would like to open are not immbedded in the main form.I would like the linked forms to automatically take the data that I've entered in the main form when i open them(linked forms).

When i include the code:"Forms!NameofLinkForm!FieldName=Me.FieldName" .Do i do this under the "view code" in design when the main form is in design view?

funi.t is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    okay this is what i intend to do.
    I have a main form and would like to enter a few search fields on this form.The entered fields should then appear on the linked forms when i open the form and retrieve all data that is linked to the search fields.
    Please help

EW1587 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    This very similar problem to what I'm facing. Help would be appreciated.

I have a SearchForm that access a query to allow a user to find an organization in my table of organizations. Then, it displays the results in a Report.

My goal is to have a command button that allows the user to initiate a disbursement to an organization from the displayed results Report and to pre-select the Organization Name option in the disbursement form.

The trick is the disbursement form will create a new record in a different table than the Organizations table. I have the primary key in the Organizations table linked to the organization name field in my disbursements table but I can't seem to navigate that link such that my Command Button to "Create Disbursement" uses the Organization name from the Results Report and returns the Organization name in the Create Disbursements Form.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

kmj1901 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Linked forms - similar problem

I have a database with four tables in a cascading series, where B is subordinate to A, C is subordinate to B and D is subordinate to C.
    I have linked forms with command buttons on each. If related records exist in all four tables the links work as they should. If there is no related record I would like to open in data entry form with the appropriate link populated. An earlier suggestion included the instruction to

"make sure you set the Data Entry property for all your sub-forms is set to Yes. This will ensure that the Link Forms will always open blank."

My problem is that I only want to open blank if there's no record to display. If there are related records I need them to appear. Including the code

Forms!NameofLinkForm!FieldName=Me.FieldName
    where Me.FieldName is the Field whose value you want to pass on to the Link-form.

without having set Data Entry on all the subforms to TRUE causes the form to populate the link, but also to pick up data from the first record in the child table and reset its link. Is there some way to distinguish between the cases, where if there are no related records the child form is blank and populated with the appropriate link but if there are related records they will be displayed?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.