VBA Crashes Access

Hopefully this will help others. I couldn't figure out why one of my Access 2010 applications crashed whenever you opened a form that had VBA code tied to it or even just opened the Visual Basic Editor. I tried a lot of things and ultimately found out that I had a corrupt icon that was "used" in the File-Options-Current Database-Application Icon. When I removed and/or replaced the icon, VBA didn't crash anymore. It drove me nuts until I found it. Hope this helps others!

Chuck

vicrauch is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Chuck, that is an excellent posting. I would like to add, that if this is happening, and there are no icons being used that could have gotten corrupted, another way to fix this type of problem is to create a new, blank database, then import all the objects from the malfunctioning database into the new clean database. That will work most of the time.

sampatrik is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vicrauch View Post
    Chuck, that is an excellent posting. I would like to add, that if this is happening, and there are no icons being used that could have gotten corrupted, another way to fix this type of problem is to create a new, blank database, then import all the objects from the malfunctioning database into the new clean database. That will work most of the time.
    Ya it works for several cases but not for each corruption case. few months back, my access database was got corrupt, i tried above method but could not able to retrieve my records, at last i used Access recovery software to get my data back.

JBLoafer is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have an Access DB nearly complete and added a form and its macro from Northwind. Access then crashed. I have tried importing into a new DB all but the latest import, but the import stops at the "faulty" form in the faulty database so I can no longer recover the majority of the other forms that have taken an age to design and debug. This is the second time it has happened, the first being a completely different scenario in a completely new db constructed from scratch with no imports at all. I have used previous versions many times and never had a crash. Now 2 since going to 2010. I need help to recover many hours of work.
    Last edited by JBLoafer; 12-11-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: added import to a new db

JBLoafer, there is a lot of information here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-41f0b9dd29dc/

The above information should help you and resolve your issue.

Good luck,

Chuck

JBLoafer is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks Chuck. It was doing my head in last night so didn't get back to you. Looking at the thread you pointed to, it seems a few like me had copied stuff from Northwind. Hmm. If it's any help, on the Northwind forms there are properties set for Help file and help context ID. Ive deleted those and haven't had a problem with those forms since deleting the properties. There are also references in the thread to upgrades. My system is 14.0.6112.5000 32 bit and I use Windows Update. Don't know whether this would help anyone.
    JBLoafer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.