TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003

That giddy feeling

In the experience pool here, I'm still a tadpole. When I compile code for something new, and see it function, I do a little celebration dance on the inside and feel a huge sense of pride. For the more experienced posters here, do you still get that feeling as well? To me, my applications are the same as tangible projects. It's like I've created a robot ready to take over the world.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    You will ALWAYS be a tadpole, my friend. And you're not even CLOSE to building the kind of robots that Richard Branson is building. But the good thing about people like me (and you too?) is knowing that IF we had access to the machinery and power that makes building sophistication possible, we have the knowledge to do it so it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

That reminds me, I sure wish I had access to machines that could process rainbow tables. Wow, that would be awesome! Can you imagine looking at a screen of a data file that's over a 100GB in size!? 100GB with no pixels in it. Now THAT'S scary! Reminds me of the binary work I do now.

Congrats on your feat, my friend.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I didn't build an actual robot. I'm just comparing the two (intangible processes vs tangible creations). I'm referring to sitting back after an application is complete and enjoying the fact that it runs. I remember the first time I got Access to send an email without security warnings through Outlook. I sent myself 20 emails just to see the new mail notification pop-up. Though nothing physical was built, my joy was just the same.

I know what you meant, sir.

You sent 20 messages to yourself for self-loathing? Wow, you really must be young!

By the way, did you use my FAQ over at AWF to accomplish that feat? It's OK if you did, you don't have to tell anyone...

Windows XP Access 2003
    It was a combination of many things.

no humor today, Shabz?

Sometimes I just love the seriousness of people around here...

Windows XP Access 2003
    As if I'd allow you to boost your ego at my expense =P

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I still get that feeling when I conquer some new hurdle that I haven't seen before. Feels nice!

I also get a mixed feeling when looking at applications I wrote 10 years ago that are still in use. One part of me notices how crudely I did things, but another realizes that the thing is still functioning and doing it's job 10 years later. That's a nice feeling. I sometimes think about re-writing them, and then decide "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    As if I'd allow you to boost your ego at my expense =P
    I have no ego. I'm just a fun guy. Actually, if you ever meet me you'll figure that out real quick, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    I also get a mixed feeling when looking at applications I wrote 10 years ago that are still in use.
    Speaking of that Paul, I'm currently writing software for commercial jets. And YOU BET....they still use the bits, bytes and nibbles. Unreal. When I joined this company, I actually had to google to find out what a bit was....and a base-10 number for that matter. No one knows though, so it's OK! I'm still alive!

dblife is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I know what you mean too - I have perfected the "inner victory dance while keeping a straight face" and also the inner "punching the air while staying quite calm looking"

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I have that inner joy when I get up in the morning and all parts are still working. Yeah! Getting the Access thing to work as you hoped is always a joy.

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    I have that feeling. I just don't admit it... Wait a second.

"This is me happy. This is me sad."

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.