New form record enters data in tables, but won't show in form view

I am having a problem with my database. My database is built off of over 1000 transferred records, and I can see each record in form view and in all of the tables that store the information. I am completely able to modify any existing record, but when I try to add a new record I encounter the following problem: each new record seems to save in the table, but will not display the information in a new form. Therefore, I could have 1001 records in the tables, but only 1000 records in the forms. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Please advise!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    What version of Access are you using abd what is the SQL for the RecordSource of the form?

same problem

I'm have the same problem.
    I'm using access2007

What version of Access are you using abd what is the SQL for the RecordSource of the form?
    The rest of it I'm not sure.
    I have a form and in that form I have a button that opens another form where I can add a new record but it won't show in the main form drop down list until I close the main form and reopen it.
    The main reason for the button is to add to another form without leaving the main form.

I guess I need a macro to update the list without leaving the main form.

You need to Requery your MainForm RecordSource before it will show any new records. Me.Requery will do it.

You need to Requery your MainForm RecordSource before it will show any new records. Me.Requery will do it.
    I do not know how to requery the main form.
    The button to open the form is using embedded macros and I can select the requery but I guess that is for the form that pops up.

Change the macro to open in Dialog Window Mode and then put a Requery on the next line of the macro.

I added an embedded macro to the button for "on exit" events on the property sheet. when exiting the form it will requery the main form.

If you open a form in the Dialog mode the system becomes modal and the code in the 1st form stops running until you close the next form or set it invisible. It forces the user to complete the next form before returning to the first form.

Caplan1269 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

I know what might be happening

This problem just happened to me over the weekend. Like you, I tried finding information on-line, but didn't get any help. So I started looking to see if I could figure it out on my own.

A co-worker entered information for 20 people into a form on friday. This morning, none of the people she entered were saved in the form. However, they were saved in a table. This is what I found.

This is really confusing, but trying to keep it simple, make sure you have all of the same records, in all of the tables your form updates. I have one form that updates 3 tables. My problem was that information was not being entered into any field related to one of my tables, because we didn't yet get this information. Therefore, that table did not create a new record, and had less records than the other two tables. My form was built off of a query, and the query only produces results based upon the relationship between the three tables. The query will only show entries that match across all three tables. And because the form was built off of the query, the form only shows the same number of entries as the query.

Hopefully to explain better, look at this example.
    You have 3 tables (now i know it wouldn't make sense to do this, but it should help explain)
    Table one is for Name
    Table two is for Address
    Table three is for phone Number

Now you need a way to link these three tables, so you have a primary key in table 1 as an auto number, named ID. You must also have an ID field in the other two tables, and then you create a relationship between the 3 ID fields. You create a query to bring the three tables together, so that John Smith, and his address, and his phone number all show up together in one place. Then you create a form to input new peoples information. When you input the information, the name goes to the Name table, the address, goes to the Address table, and the phone number goes to the Phone Number table. If for some reason, the person, we'll call him Fred, does not have a phone number, and you put nothing in the form under the Phone Number field, access will not create a new entry in your phone number table. Therefore, it does not show up in the query and will not show up in your form the next time it opens. However, he is saved in the Name table and the Address table. If you go into the Phone number table, create a new entry, and put Fred's ID in the ID column, this will solve the problem. Just make sure you re-run your query, after updating his information.

I hope this helps!

rommelgenlight is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    when you open your ms access that you are using on with the forms resides, click tools--->option--->edit/find tab

you will find there that says "(Don't display lists where more than this number of records read.)"

its default is 1000. you can change it to how many records you want.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.