Buakaw is offline Absolute novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

How to change multi-page form to single-page form?

I created a form from a table, and the resulting form has many pages (one page for each record), because of the many entries in the table.

However, I want this form to just be a one-paged form, because it's a registration form, and I unbounded all the boxes from the table fields. (I added a button that when clicked, will check and process the fields and add them into the table using VBA code). So now, all the boxes on the form are not bounded to any table field.

Is there a way for me to convert this multiple-page form to a single-page form? By multi-page I mean there are arrows that you can click on the bottom of the form to go to the different records in the table that the form was created from. But since I've unbounded all the fields, that is now meaningless.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    So you basically went and took all of what Access does for you with no code and you wrote code to do what wouldn't be necessary if you were to just keep the form bound to the table and set the form's DATA ENTRY property to YES. It would have then just required a button to save the record using this code:

Code:
    Me.Requery
    It does amaze me how people, go to great lengths to do something when asking how to do something would yield much simpler methods. (just a note - I've been doing this for 14 years and I am currently a professional Access Developer - I do it full-time and do some very complex stuff. And yet I would not use unbound forms unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.)

Anyway - since you say you are an "Advanced Beginner" I will teach you a little.

1. The "multiple pages" you speak of is not multiple pages. It is simply a single record view of the records and the navigation buttons at the bottom just move to the next record. It isn't another page.

2. You can remove that navigation by going to the form's properties in design view and going to the DATA tab and setting the NAVIGATION BUTTONS to NO.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    So you basically went and took all of what Access does for you with no code and you wrote code to do what wouldn't be necessary if you were to just keep the form bound to the table and set the form's DATA ENTRY property to YES. It would have then just required a button to save the record using this code:

Code:
    Me.Requery
    thanks for the tip. haven't heard of that one before. so the data doesn't get saved until you do that?

It does amaze me how people, go to great lengths to do something when asking how to do something would yield much simpler methods. (just a note - I've been doing this for 14 years and I am currently a professional Access Developer - I do it full-time and do some very complex stuff. And yet I would not use unbound forms unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.)
    lesson learned. i watched a how-to video from someone's access page and that's where i got that idea.

Anyway - since you say you are an "Advanced Beginner" I will teach you a little.
    no that is something the site updates based on my post count. i'm not an advanced beginner. i'm just a rank novice really.

There, I've gone and changed it. Better now?

1. The "multiple pages" you speak of is not multiple pages. It is simply a single record view of the records and the navigation buttons at the bottom just move to the next record. It isn't another page.

2. You can remove that navigation by going to the form's properties in design view and going to the DATA tab and setting the NAVIGATION BUTTONS to NO.
    thanks.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Buakaw View Post
    thanks for the tip. haven't heard of that one before. so the data doesn't get saved until you do that?
    The data can be saved in many ways (moving to a new record, using code from a button to save, etc.) but with a form set to Data Entry requerying it will save the record AND prepare it for a new record at the same time. You can use the form's Before Update event to validate your data and cancel if it fails validation so it will stay there instead of going to a new record).

no that is something the site updates based on my post count. i'm not an advanced beginner. i'm just a rank novice really.
    Sorry, I didn't realize that was not a custom title.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks Bob. I got it to work, now I'm going to try the verification part.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.