secretary is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Format textboxes/labels based on value in combo box

I am developing a membership database which includes individual members and couples.

The member entry form includes a "1st Member" and "2nd Member" section for personal information. When a combobox on the form is set to GENERAL/SINGLE, HONORARY/SINGLE, or SENIOR/SINGLE, I want the entire "2nd Member" section of the form to be either invisible or greyed out (disabled).

I've attempted this with conditional formattingon one of the textboxes in the "2nd Member" section as a test. I've even converted a few labels into textboxes that act like labels (since cond. formatting only works on controls) in case I would have to apply the same formatting later:

IIf (
    [listMemberType] Like "*SINGLE", [lab2ndMember].Visible = False, [lab2ndMember].Visible = True )

This doesn't work, thought. I realize that conditional formatting may not even be the best approach. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

~Secretary

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't think conditional formatting in one control can set properties of another control. Use VBA. Set the the 2nd Member combo as invisible then in code for the AfterUpdate event of 1st Member combo have code to make 2nd visible or invisible per 1st selection. Also, same code in form OnCurrent event to set the 2nd combo when opening to existing record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I've never used VBA before. What's the best resource, and how do I get started?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Access Help has an introduction to coding. Search for VBA in the Help, should see result 'Introduction to Access Programming', start there.

And here is a reference book: Access™ 2007 Programming by Example with VBA, XML, and ASP by Julitta Korol, Wordware Publishing, Inc.
    Last edited by June7; 06-27-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    And here's another free resource:

Access 2007 VBA

I'm having trouble with this. I've written the following event procedure:

Private Sub listMemberType_AfterUpdate()
    If listMemberType.Value Like "*FAMILY" Then Show2ndMember
    End If
    End Sub
    where
    Private Sub Show2ndMember()
    lab2ndMember.Visible = True
    labSalutation2.Visible = True
    comSalutation2.Visible = True
    labFirstName2.Visible = True
    txtFirstName2.Visible = True
    labLastName2.Visible = True
    txtLastName2.Visible = True
    labBirthDate2.Visible = True
    txtBirthDate2.Visible = True
    End Sub
    The thing is, I don't want the second half of the form visible when I select a control, I want it to become visible/invisible because of the value in that control (combo box).

It would be much easier if you had your table structure properly normalized instead of having repeating fields.

But to use what you've got, you would need to call Show2ndMember in the form's On Current event as well as in the After Update event. But you need to modify Show2ndMember to have the If instead of in the after update event:

Code:
    Private Sub listMemberType_AfterUpdate()
     Show2ndMember
    End Sub
    Code:
    Private Sub Show2ndMember() 
    Dim blnTF As Boolean
        If Me.listMemberType.Value Like "*FAMILY" Then  
            blnTF = True
        End If

Me.lab2ndMember.Visible = blnTF
    Me.labSalutation2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.comSalutation2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.labFirstName2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.txtFirstName2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.labLastName2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.txtLastName2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.labBirthDate2.Visible = blnTF
    Me.txtBirthDate2.Visible = blnTF End Sub

Wow thanks that helped!

Since I'm dealing with a list, I'm curious if there is a way to Show2ndMember when I select the right MemberType just by clicking the arrows i.e. Is there an event where I can call Show2ndMember when the up/down arrows on the list box are clicked? At this point, I have to either click on the list field or arrowkey through the choices to show/hide 2nd Member info.

You mentioned repeated fields, and I actually thought about that as I was typing up the code: is there any way to change a single property for multiple controls at once so that the code's a bit more elegant?

Quote Originally Posted by secretary View Post
    Wow thanks that helped!

Since I'm dealing with a list, I'm curious if there is a way to Show2ndMember when I select the right MemberType just by clicking the arrows i.e. Is there an event where I can call Show2ndMember when the up/down arrows on the list box are clicked? At this point, I have to either click on the list field or arrowkey through the choices to show/hide 2nd Member info.
    You could use the listbox's KeyDown event (which means when a key is pressed) and use

Code:
    If KeyCode = 38 or KeyCode = 40 Then
       Show2ndMember
    End If
    You mentioned repeated fields, and I actually thought about that as I was typing up the code: is there any way to change a single property for multiple controls at once so that the code's a bit more elegant?
    Not really. You can use code to shorten up the code by setting the tag property of the control and then iterating through it, like setting the tag of the fields you want to display if 2nd member is selected you can set the tag to something like "2ndMem" without the quotes and then use
    Code:
    Dim ctl As Control
    Dim blnTF As Boolean

blnTF = True
        End If

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
       If ctl.Tag = "2ndMem" Then
          ctl.Visible = blnTF
       End If
    Next

You could use the listbox's KeyDown event (which means when a key is pressed)
    I'm actually interested in the up/down arrow buttons that are part of the listbox, not the arrow keys.

Thanks for the tag tip though!

Quote Originally Posted by secretary View Post
    I'm actually interested in the up/down arrow buttons that are part of the listbox, not the arrow keys.

Thanks for the tag tip though!
    Can you post a screenshot of what you are talking about with up/down buttons? I think it is just the scroll bar you may be talking about and there is nothing you can do with those.

You're right, it was just the scroll bar. The list is so small that it only appears as two arrows because the bar is so tiny. That's fine.

In an unrelated note, I'm trying to set the DefaultValue of a textbox with a variable

Private Sub AutoFillLastName()
    Dim strLastName1 As String
    strLastName1 = txtLastName1
    txtLastName2.DefaultValue = strLastName1
    End Sub
    I keep getting the #Name? error. I have a feeling it has something to do with improperly defined strings. The correct name appears in the property sheet for txtLastName2 under Default Value, but it only displays properly in the form when I add "" around the name in the property sheet. What's the code missing?

Code:
    Private Sub AutoFillLastName()
    Dim strLastName1 As String

strLastName1 = Me.txtLastName1
    Me.txtLastName2.DefaultValue = strLastName1
    End Sub
    However, setting the default value isn't going to help you here. Once the record has been started, it will only be applicable to the NEXT record that gets started.

Thanks, Bob!

Code:
    Dim ctl As Control
    Dim blnTF As Boolean
            blnTF = True
        End If

For Each ctl In Me.Controls
       If ctl.Tag = "2ndMember" Then
          ctl.Visible = blnTF
       End If
    Next
    Quick question about this piece of code. If I were to append additional tags to any of the controls, how would that change the line above. In this case, I now have
    2ndMember;UsualBackColor=16777215
    as the tag. Thanks!
    Last edited by secretary; 07-21-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.