James Brazill is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

cascading combo boxes stop working in DAP system

I have created three cascading combo boxes based on filtered queries(that restrict records displayed based on the record selected in the previous combo box). They are all working fine on the machine with MS Acess installed, but when I use the form via a switchboard interface on a different computer that does not have Acess installed, the second and third combo boxes come up blank. All the rest of the forms work perfectly. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Cheers

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Edit the rowsource of the combobox and see if the records show while viewing it in query design.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How are you doing this on a machine which does not have Access installed? Are you talking about Data Access Pages?

James Brazill is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yeah, its a data access page that can be used to enter / view data on machines without Access installed.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Well, I think you should repost this question and this time put DATA ACCESS PAGE in the title too, so someone with DAP experience might be able to answer. I haven't used DAPs much at all and won't now since they have been deprecated and are no longer available within Access.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    An ADP (ACCESS DATA PROJECT) or DAP works the same way with comboboxes. I've developed several of them (years and years ago). Remove any criteria and make sure you can view the records. Then add in any criteria and check. You may need to put in a 'Refresh' command or try in the OnGotFocus of the combobox, put in a: me.myComboboxname.requery command (I'd also throw in a message box showing the criteria value to make sure the criteria is what you expected).

I might recommend making it an Access mdb (or accdb) versus an ADP though. You don't gain a lot with an ADP and actually lose more than you gain overall. An Access mdb with SQL Server linked tables (and designing the forms in unbound fashion) is essentially the same thing as an ADP except with an Access mdb you have more options available to you. You lose the direct tie to SQL Server (ie. editing SQL Server tables/fields/views as you can in an ADP) but you can just as easily open up SQL Server Manager to do any editing of tables/fields (just remember to refresh the linked tables in the mdb). Speed is not a factor if you use unbound forms. I did several speed tests by designing a 1+ million record db in both an ADP and in an mdb using SQL Server linked tables. Using the unbound form technique, record retrievals to/from the forms were the same.

Additionally, when Microsoft came out with newer versions of SQL Server, ADP became more problematic to work with. I'm not sure if Microsoft even supports ADP anymore (I created my last ADP back in 2000 and finally gave up on it due to the increased development time and little gain using an ADP). I'm pretty sure you still needed to have Access installed (or the runtime which I'm guessing you're using) to use ADP though except with an ADP, you now have IE in the mix. I'd troubleshoot to see if the problem lies with the Access runtime or if using for the web, troubleshoot IE issues. Also check MDAC versions on each computer (although probably not the issue).

If the goal is for the web, consider using something besides ADP (or ASP). It's not the best for web operation and there are better, more flexible web development programs (not dependant on IE) to link back to SQL Server data. If external connection is critical, consider Citrix or Terminal Server or VPN for connection and then using an mdb (or accdb) with SQL Server linked tables (you can still use the runtime). This was a lot less problematic for me versus an ADP. Using the unbound form technique worked great even for the slowest modem connection.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...005273103.aspx
    http://www.pcapps.com/application-se...scorecard.aspx

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.