injanib is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Unsecured Backend

Hello all,

So this may be entirely my lack of understanding, but I can't figure out the following.

I am using Access 2007. I have developed a database that will be used in a workgroup environment by 3-4 computers. I will have no access to this network. All the PCs on this network uses Access 2007. The database will be placed in a shared folder on one of the PCs. I will need to split the database. But because I am not on this network and can not connect to this shared folder, how can I split the database on my computer with the proper Network Path of the shared folder and then give them a copy of the backend and front end instead of giving them the database as is and then guide them to split it?

Also, the users will have to have Read/Write access to this folder in order to used the backend of the database. I can convert the frontend to ACCDE, but not the backend. If the users can connect to this folder with Read/Write access, they will have access to an unsecured backend. Unless I don't know any better, how does this splitting provide and security for the data?

I have someone can help me understand this better.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) pathing in my split database. I set the table links with VBA procedure. Check this thread http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tc-324677.html

For your second issue, I don't have a complete answer, start with this thread http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...rd-399061.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

injanib is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Thanks for the feedback June7, but I am using the UNC of the path name. It is "\\LEA-PC\Database". The problem is that I am not connected to this share, but the database will eventually end up in this share. When I try to create the backend, it asks me for the path name of where I want the back end to be sitting. And when I enter that UNC, it says it can't find it, which makes sense because I am not connected to it.

I was hoping that I could use this UNC and split the database now before I send it over on a media. that way when the people who will use it don't have to worry about splitting it. They would just place the back end on that share and copy the front end on their PCs.

As far as securing the back end is concerned, I really haven't been able to find anything helpful. My database has a login feature. It stores usernames in a table, and uses the current user of the PC to compare it against the users table. The passwords are saved in the table encrypted with MD5 encryption. The accounts are set to lock after 3 attempts, and the passwords expire every 60 days. I have also programaticaly set up events to disable the bypass key. I will also convert the front end to ACCDE. Although this offers some sort of security, at least with my users, it will mean nothing if I split the database and place the backend unsecured in a shared location. It will be like locking a door with no walls.
    I guess if I want to be able to employ the security feature I have set up, then I should go without splitting the database. At least both the design and the data will be behind this security feature. I have noticed the big difference in speed when I split the db and when I use it as a stand-alone db, but I will have to live with that.

Thanks again.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry, I forgot that setting the path through VBA would still try to verify the path. I can only suggest that you build the frontend and backend on your computer and include a 'set up' procedure to modify the links that client administrator will run when first copying the files to the server. This could be a utility available in case they change server name.

As for security on the backend, I know, Access doesn't handle that well.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.