DonL is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Auto populate a field (without a form)

Hi all

Stuck on something that I hope you can help me with.

I have 3 tables -
    Jobs
    Assets
    Matrix (static table)

One job can have many assets, with Job ID primary in Jobs and foreign in assets. I have created a form that includes Jobs and assets, with the assets info displayed in its table format under the Job data (the typical 1 to many access form).

When the user enters a new job using this form, and then enters the assets associated with this form (with the user entering numeric values in some fields), I want a field in the assets table to automatically update by taking values from the matrix table and completing a calculation with values entered by the user in the assets table.

The questions I have are:
    • Can this be done directly with the assets table without using afterupdate event?
    • Since i'm using the type of form described above, is afterupdate event available to me?
    • If not available to me how would you advice I go ahead and successfully complete this?

Please ask all the questions you want to clarify further what I'm trying to complete.

Thank you all

DonL

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If Matrix is not part of the RecordSource for the form or subform, then will need code to get the values from table. The trick is determining which event should have the code. AfterUpdate is available. Which control do you want to use?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.