chris@staples is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Can queries require 4GB of ram?

I have a user that just got a new laptop, but he has downgraded from 4GB to 2GB with this new laptop on Windows XP, and is still running Access 2007. The database is local to his machine with calls to Data Warehouse tables through ODBC.

When I got the help ticket it he said the query will run for 1 hour or so then flash the error, "Not enough space on temporary disk".

After some googling I found one entry to increase the file lock size in the registry from 9500 default to 200000. This allowed the query to run for about 1.5 hours and then flashed the same error. I also asked the user who the database designer was and he left the company 2 years ago, as I was hoping to possible maybe redo the query and see if it can be condensed.

User stated this query generally took 2 hours or so to run on his old laptop, as he is a home office VPN user.

I checked the user's temp folders (c:\temp, and that in his profile) and only one of them has 86MB in it so not that much.

The user's pagesys is set to the max 2GB, and he has plenty of hard drive space.

Was trying to find him a fix, but from what I am seeing the Ram is required for this database.

Any ideas if there are other settings I can try?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    hmmm well it is definitely rare to see anyone downsizing their RAM !! ok but we need to sanity check as to whether this is cause or coincidental. So I would beg or borrow a machine with the prior spec and run it - - because if it has that same crash then something else has changed - probably the source data would be my guess.

but if the old spec does run ok then what ? rhetorical. honestly I would tend to say that any query that takes that long, in general, you want horsepower... is there really any upside in attempting to troubleshoot a scenario of 4 vs 2G Ram on XP? I wonder. Any ole desktop available today is Win7 with 4G at maybe $500....ok not a laptop but still. ....

in any case afraid this isn't much help....but you do mention he is vpn - is the Access db trying to pull data odbc via vpn? that sounds like trouble. if so; Can he download a copy of the table data and run all locally?.....

Rhino373 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I can tell you I have a 2.38 GHz i5 with 3 GB RAM and I run into the not enough space on temporary disk all the time. I work with tables around 600,000 to 1.8 million records. Generally I don't have problems with queries though unless I'm asking to return around all those records (600,000 or greater) or run something like an update query.

I'm guessing he changed to a standardized machine for your business and didn't really have a choice regarding downgrading his RAM. Just the company wanting to go cheaper and not really realizing what is truely needed to do work.

Since he's making connections to data warehouse tables I'm guessing their size is significant so I'm highly doubting he can make local copies of the tables.

What kind of query is this?

chris@staples is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, the user didn't not specify adding the additional memory to his new laptop. We have Win7 in the works, but probably another year before it is ready for Business implementation.

I have not had the chance to get past the Switchboard form that pops (user had to leave) so that is my next step to see what kind of query. My guess is that it just has too many cross references through extremely large tables, which RAM would probably help. All the responses I found in Google were VB coding to help with the query to run, but unfortunately I am out of practice in coding and wouldn't feel comfortable messing with the code on his PC. Since the gentelmen who made the database left 2 years ago, we are pretty much stuck.

I am going see if I can see where the database is storing temp and see if maybe there is a permissions issue due to size. However I think the only fix looks to be increasing RAM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.