candyturbo is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Unhappy Complete Idiot Needs Help Importing

Let me preface my question by saying that I know absolutely nothing about coding in an Access database. Other than that I know Access pretty well.

I need to create a button on a form that, when clicked, prompts the user to browse their computer to select a file to be imported to a specific table in the database - table named "Filled_Reqs". The Excel file and the Access table are a standard format and a new file has to be imported weekly.

I have seen people answer this question with code to use, but I do not know how to use the code in Access. I understand where to go to select [Event Procedure] in the button properties, but have no idea what to do after that.

Help a complete idiot out please??

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    this is an embedded native feature. So if the ribbon is available to the user - then it is only education/instruction on going to the External tab etc etc etc.

if the file were always found in the exact same place, and they didn't need to browse to find it - then automating it into a command button is more feasible using the Transfer method.

Hope it helps.

candyturbo is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Thank you

Yes, I know of the native feature and even how to automate the import in a Macro if the name and location never changes. I want a button on a form to either call the native feature or to run an event procedure that gives a dialog box to choose the file location and the name (the name would change on every import).

Thank you for the information. Let me know if you have ideas on how to further customize.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.