batowl is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Strange Problem w/ Excel File

Hi Everyone,

I have a database with multiple tables in it. One of these tables links to an Excel 97-2003 file. All of the sudden the following problem popped up on only one computer:

When you look at the linked table inside of Access, the date field has a #Num error in every cell. When you look at the property of this field in Access it says it is a Text format. It should not be a text format, it should be date/time. But I did not change it, no one did. In fact, you cannot change the format within Access for a linked table. When you go into the original Excel file outside Access and look at the format of each cell, they are formatted in the proper way. I have another linked Excel file within the database that has date fields and it is not having the same problem.

To make it even stranger, this is only happening on one person's computer. She used to have Office 2000 while everyone else was in 2003. I thought that was the problem, but after upgrading her computer the problem still persists.

Any ideas?

SoftwareMatters is offline Access VBA Developers
    Windows XP Access 2003
    It is very strange that it is only happening on 1 computer but here are some things I would try:

Check that there is only dates in this column i.e. no numbers or text strings and also make sure the dates are all actual dates i.e. not entered incorrectly such as 30/06/201.

Re-link the excel file after you are certain there are only dates and see if the data type changes.

Save the excel file as a .csv and then when you are linking you can choose the datatype of the column.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.