compooper is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Lightbulb Acces 2003: Import Form

Hi there,

Could someone help me develop the following code:

On an Import form,
    -the user selects which file they would like to upload by clicking on a browse button
    -file path is displayed in text box
    -user then further describes the file by selecting fields in a combo box & option groups (ex. select company, file type, etc)
    -files are then imported once user clicks on import command button
    -file namess are then displayed in a table, with its description in separate fields

I've got the browse button to work, well not completely.
    As soon as the user finds a file in the open dialog and clicks open, the file is imported.
    I do not want that, I want it to first appear in the text box then user must describe it.

Please help.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    It would really help if you would post the code you have so far.

Since you are going to have two buttons, the current button caption I would change to "Select File" instead of "Browse". The 2nd button caption could be "Do Upload" or something like that.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Okay so I've solved the first two:
    -the user selects which file they would like to upload by clicking on a browse button
    -file path is displayed in text box

Now for the rest:
    -user then further describes the file by selecting fields in a combo box & option groups (ex. select company, file type, etc)
    -files are then imported once user clicks on import command button
    -file namess are then displayed in a table, with its description in separate fields

Each company has a separate table. Each time the user imports the data however, I want a date (user selected) to be added to only the new records that are being imported. Not to any previous data.

I hope that makes sense.
    Any ideas?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Each company has a separate table.
    Why does each company have a separate table? Are the fields in the tables different? This is not a normalized structure. It would be easier to have one table, with an additional field linked to the company table. Forms/reports would be filtered by company. If/when you add a new company, you wouldn't have to create a new table, new forms, reports or queries.

Each time the user imports the data however, I want a date (user selected) to be added to only the new records that are being imported. Not to any previous data.
    Without seeing the code, the idea would be to add the date during the import. The date would be added to only the imported records.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes, I've been told this is not a normalize structure so I've decided to change things up:

I have many invoices coming from various companies. I would like to merge all of the invoices by extracting selected information, & adding fields that would explain company name and invoice period.

After doing a lot of research, I've come up with a different importing approach.
    Here's the new idea folks:
    1. Run a TransferSpreadsheet using acLink to link to the spreadsheet/csv file.
    2. Run an Append query to append the records from the linked table to the merged invoice table. Run queries: add fields, extract fields from invoice, etc.
    3. Delete the link to the spreadsheet/csv file.

I read somewhere that this reduces bloating of your db, if you link the tables and then delete them.
    I just need to know how to
    a) temporary link tables
    b) extract and add information I need (by user entering data I want to add in a form)
    c) merge the data to a table in my db

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.