beartiger is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Automating Access: running your own functions/passing arguments

This question has to do with automating Access. I simply want automate Access to run my own VBA function in my database and pass it arguments from a script.

So, let's say I have written a public function called foo() in a module in my Access database. Foo() takes a couple of arguments, param1 and param2, the first a string, the second an int. I want to write a script that automates Access and runs this function in my Access database and passes it values for these parameters. What would that look like?

I have been trying to use Win32::OLE in a Perl script. This is what I have so far. I haven't yet tried the argument passing yet:

Code:
         use strict; 
         use warnings; 
         use Win32::OLE; 
         my $oAccess; 
         my $oDatabase; 
         my $filename = "C:\\mydb.accdb"; 
         $oAccess = Win32::OLE->GetActiveObject('Access.Application'); 
         $oAccess->OpenCurrentDatabase($filename); 
         #$oAccess->{DoCmd}->RunCommand(myfunction()); 
         #$oAccess->{DoCmd}->RunCommand("myfunction()"); 
         $oAccess->{DoCmd}->RunCode('myfunction()');
    The commented out lines are some of the things I've tried, but I can't get my function to run at all.

It's not clear to me from reading the Win32::OLE documentation at CPAN how to do this. If this is not possible with Win32::OLE, can you tell me how I might accomplish this?

The function I'm attempting to run exports a somewhat complex Excell spreadsheet based on queries on my database. The arguments are variables that I plug into the queries.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks,
    John

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure this is an Access question. Might have better luck with answers in another forum site. However, I might be doing something similar that you could adapt.

In one case, I have a VBScript that is initiated by Windows Task Manager daily. This script opens my Access db. The Access db is set to open a form on default. This form has code in Open event to run another procedure if criteria are met.

In another situation I have code in one Access DB that executes a macro in another. That macro then runs a Function (not a Sub) procedure. I discovered that I could not call a VBA procedure from another project and that macro cannot call a Sub, hence, calling macro which calls Function.
    Dim A As New Access.Application
    Set A = CreateObject("Access.Application")
    A.Visible = False
    A.OpenCurrentDatabase ("\\server name\path\filename.mdb")
    A.DoCmd.RunMacro "macro name"
    Set A = Nothing

No idea how or if this can be done with Win32::OLE in a Perl script.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Not sure this is an Access question. Might have better luck with answers in another forum site. However, I might be doing something similar that you could adapt. I have a VBScript that is initiated by Windows Task Manager daily. This script opens my Access db. The Access db is set to open a form on default. This form has code in Open event to run another procedure if criteria are met.
    Thanks. The problem is I need to pass in several values to filter the query I'm running each time I run it, so something automatic like that wouldn't really work for that. In both of the things you outline, it doesn't seem any values are passed in.

I have asked this question on several forums and mailing lists, for both Perl and Access, including the Win32::Ole mailing list. No replies.

Thanks,
    John

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This thread shows executing a VBA Sub from a VBScript with Run method http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308188

Access Help says Run method can have arguments and provides code example.

I did get one project to call the Sub in another project. So I retract my earlier statement about this not being possible. I just hadn't found the right code structure. And I did get the VBScript to work.
    Last edited by June7; 06-13-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    The answer, as it turns out, is to use the Application.Run method, like:

$oAccess->Run("myfunction","arg")

Best regards,
    John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.