injanib is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access Level Controlled Forms

Hi all,

I am using Access 2007. There are certain areas on all of my forms that I want to limit access to for some users. For example, depending on which user is using the forms, I need some controls or buttons to be disabled.

I will probably end up splitting the database, and I will have 3-4 users simultaneously. But I am yet to know how to make the database able to be used by multiple users with different access level.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Have a login form to get user ID or get it from their network login. Have code behind the various forms that disable or enable (or lock or set visibility) controls according to user ID.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks,

I think the easiest way for me, if possible, is to have the open event of the form check if the user is a standard user or administrator. The work stations are Win 7 with one Admin account and one Standard User account.
    Is it possible to check whether the user logged in is an administrator or a standard user?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Think I have dealt with this question before and could not determine was possible to get from the network. Could maintain this info in a table in the db.

Get the username from network login with: Environ("username")

Check this thread: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=415246
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I ended up going about it the long way, which I think is the better way. I ended up creating a users table and a login form. It was allot of work, but I can add/remove users, set specific access levels for each users, Force passwords to expire in 30 days, lock accounts after a number of invalid attempts, and even encrypted the passwords with MD5 encryption. It works great. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.