Niki is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Numeric vs. Text

Using Access 2007, I have created a report that pulls data from a table and fills in a text box when I enter a choice in a combo box. The data is numeric. I inserted a totals row at the bottom, but it only give me an option of "none" or "count". I have a suspicion that my column isn't numeric, but don't know how to change it so it will total. Any ideas on how to get it to total?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This is a text datatype field. You can use the Val function in a query expression then total on this constructed field. However, I recommend you get the data into the correct datatype. You can change the field's datatype in the table design. Be sure to use Double number type if the values are decimal. I basically always use Double just to be safe.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Niki is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    In table design it shows as currency, but when I draw the info into my report it's text.

In order to draw the data in, the combo box has mutiple invisable columns from the table and the text box equals [Combobox].[Column](#) for the column I want. Even in the Row Source it shows as currency - when it pops up in the report, however, the $ is missing and it won't total.

Thanks!

Rhino373 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'm not sure how the combo cox and text box relate to the data. I'm assuming the report is based off the selection you make in the combo box but I don't understand the purpose of the text box. Is the text box what is displaying as text and you want it to display as currency or is there a separate column at the bottom (totals row) that won't total. If its the latter I would as well guess an entry is possibly not currency in that field.

I'd look into whether you have NULL values in this field or if you ever run an append query in this field. If you ever write to that field make your statement with the CCur() function.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have never used the Currency datatype. I just tested this in a table. I set a field as currency and then clicked on Totals for the table. I get the full range of aggregate functions as choices. No problem summing this field in report. Although the dollar sign doesn't show.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.