nguyeda is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Mulit-User Querying Database 250 people

Hello,

I have a HUGE access database with 20 or so queries. After the queries run, it exports to excel then I send it out to everyone myself.

Well now we want people to be able to have access to the database, update the source data and view the queries.

Is there a way through SQL, OLAP, Visual Studio or something else that can allow me to have people access a form from a shared intra-network to query my queries?

The point is, I'm trying to figure out how to create a user friendly, multi-user database.

Does anyone here have any experience and can share some stories or suggestions?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    First thing you need to do is split the database, if not already, into frontend and backend files. Frontend links to tables in backend. Frontend has queries, forms, reports, code. Users open frontend.

250 users is a lot for Access. Might consider MYSQL or SQLExpress as the backend.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to June7's advice, I think you may want to step back a bit and consider what you are doing. Do you have some process/procedure for development? Do you understand testing? Do you understand maintenace? Do you have any form or procedure for communicating what the new application is for, who will use it? How? when? How changes and feedback will be done??

Do you have Access on 250 machines? And Excel (for whatever reason)?

Before you send an application to 250 users, there are some basics that must be considered. Splitting FE/BE is fundamental-- but other DBMS may be more practical.

An application with 20 queries is not HUGE, necessarily.
    Trying to "send" an Access application to 250 users is a potential disaster. If this is your first attempt at a shared database implementation, you now may have more issues and problems than you can solve.

It doesn't appear, from the info you provided, that SQL, OLAP or Visual Studio or any other software is the root issue.

In any event, good luck with your project.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.