cadeucsb is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Transpose Data from Row to column format help needed

I have a table of account number data. The table includes a field for Account Number and a field for Master Account Number.

The master account number is an aggregator of account numbers so we know which account numbers go together for one vendor/client/etc.

The problem I have is an account can have 2 master account numbers. So essentially this account number will be in my table twice (once for each master#).

My hope is to get each account number into the table once with an additional Master Account #2 field. I have been racking my brain and cant think of a way to execute it.

any help is greatly appreciated.

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer

cadeucsb -

A few questions??

You stated: The master account number is an aggregator of account numbers so we know which account numbers go together for one vendor/client/etc.

Question: What do you mean by, "aggregator of account numbers"?
    Is this a series of numbers separated by a comma or semi-colon, etc. OR is this field based on logic or a particular formula OR is it something else?

Further, you also stated: The problem I have is an account can have 2 master account numbers. Question: Why and when does this occur?

Once this information is known, more specific help can be provided.

All the best,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ketbdnetbp View Post
    A few questions??

You stated: The master account number is an aggregator of account numbers so we know which account numbers go together for one vendor/client/etc.

Question: What do you mean by, "aggregator of account numbers"?
    Is this a series of numbers separated by a comma or semi-colon, etc. OR is this field based on logic or a particular formula OR is it something else?

Further, you also stated: The problem I have is an account can have 2 master account numbers. Question: Why and when does this occur?

Once this information is known, more specific help can be provided.

All the best,

Jim

With the data, it is a set table of info. No logic or formula or csv loads etc. its an existing table with fields: Account Number and Master Account Number.

To further explain the data...

lets say youre a client with 5 account numbers: 1,2,3,4 and 5.
    Now on top of that we would have 1 master account number: 99.

Accounts 1,2,3,4,5 are all under this 99 Master account so we know which 5 belong to you. So if someone asks, which are Jim's accounts, I dont have to get a list of all 5 accounts numbers, I can just say Master Account 99.

See the attached to better explain the current data layout and what I am trying to do.

cade

anyone else have thoughts on this? been manually dealing with this for years and would love to fix it on the db table side.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.