Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Okay, I tested these forms by adding a new appointment record and selected Extras. The Order box and Status calcs do immediately refresh when I make selection in any of the Extras dropdowns. It seems to do exactly what you are asking for. So I do not understand your issue. Although none of the checkbox items show until the Extras popup closes.

Appears to be a well-thought out project.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

wdrspens is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you very much. It is odd that it works on your computer but not on mine, but I suppose that is the problem with computers. Something, somewhere is preventing it from working on my computer.
    Again I thoroughly appreciate your help.
    Could you please delete all the data from the program and delete the program also.
    I am very sorry to have troubled you, but it still does not work on my computer and I will just have to live with its anomalies.
    Kind regards
    David

June7 is online now VIP
    No apology needed, no trouble. This is why we participate in forum.

Here is something interesting. Because I am running Access 2010 on this computer I imported everything from the mdb into a new accdb project (2010 can't edit mdb files). This project performs correctly. So I just tried the original mdb and it exhibits the issue you describe. I also tried it on another computer running Access 2007. I don't know why the mdb has problem and guess the solution is to upgrade it to 2010.

Update: Now I am really confused and disappointed. I just tried my accdb version again and it is not working now. I KNOW it was before, I watched those controls update. So now am looking at the code. I don't know how it could have worked. I don't see any code that refreshes/requeries/recalcs frmBookAppointments after selection from dropdowns, only when Extras is closed, and that doesn't work either. This HAS to be doable. Will look at some more later this week.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Your original post may explain my problems. I am also running Access 2010 but have been working with this .mdb file. I will now try to upgrade the file to accdb.
    Your updated post coincides with my experience.
    Regards

Hi again,
    I have resolved the problem by the simple expedient of closing both forms and opening up the main form when closing the popup form.
    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String
    stDocName = "frmBookAppointment" 'Main Form
    If Me.Dirty Then DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

stLinkCriteria = "[ApptID]=" & Me![ApptID]
    DoCmd.Close acForm, stDocName
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "ExtrasF" 'Popup Form
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

It's a work around, but it works!

Many thanks for your help. I greatly appreciated it.

Regards

June7 is online now VIP
    Additional review of this project brings me to conclustion that no matter what I do, can't get the Appointment form to update with Extra selections when the record is initially created. Once the appointment is saved with an Extra selection then reopened, adding and removing Extras are immediately reflected in the Appointment form. Saving an appointment without an Extra has same behavior as an inititial appointment, does not update when Extras selected. So this tells me that record into ExtrasT table is not getting committed during this initial event until the Appointment form is closed. Why the acCmdSaveRecord is not working in the AfterUpdate event of Extra comboboxes escapes me. Once an Extra has been selected and the record saved, it stays, even if all Extras are removed from the appointment, the record in ExtrasT remains. Can end up with a table full of records with no data. Guess the assumption was that once an Extra is selected, appointment is committed to have that Extra. The ExtrasT table is not fully normalized. Can have a lot of empty fields because not every extra will be selected for every appointment.

My recommendation is to eliminate the popup Extras form and incorporate the Extras onto the Appointment form. Both forms have RecordSource of the same query. This query includes a join between tblAppointments and ExtrasT tables (a one-to-one relationship). Either include the Extra fields in tblAppointments or delete record from ExtrasT if all extras removed.

Project is complex and someone put a lot of work into it but I find problems with debugging. There are controls that appear to be buttons but have no Click event in their properties and no events selected yet things happen when you click the 'button'.

I was able to change a couple of things. I don't like my apps to open full screen so I removed from the AutoExec macro the Maximize function. Also eliminated Access popup warnings whenever a record is saved or deleted or updated with DoCmd.RunSQL. Insert lines DoCmd.SetWarnings False and DoCmd.SetWarnings True before and after each DoCmd.RunSQL.

Thank you - very interesting.
    What you say suggests that there may be a bug in the 2010 version.
    Your suggestion on improvements is appreciated.
    Again, thank you very much.
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.