abarin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

RE: Web database setup

I'm trying to setup an access database to publish to sharepoint. I'm new to this and have been having some problems. Is there a way to set a unique non autonumber primary key? i want to use my employee ID numbers but i can't seem to get it to let me. I get errors. I can do it in regular database design mode but if i start a web one it seems to be nothing but problems. Is there a way around this?

Thanks!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    An ID value, generally isn't used for math - so typically is a Text field. Although it often can be an integer type field - though depending on how many characters one can exceed the 'short' maximum - so look out for that.

Sharepoint should have no problem with such a field type.

As to a key: this is a concept. If you know there will never be a duplicate value in this column then you as the db designer consider it the key. Technically one doesn't need the db for this conceptual designation. Access likes to force the issue because it is attempting to build indexes as well as force good design.

Publishing to sharepoint lists does raise new & different issues. Its field types do vary from Access in some regards. Definitely have an Access textbook for reference as it will have a chapter on this issue specifically. The error message it throws should give you a hint as to the problem with your current field type.

Hope it helps a little.

abarin is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thank you NTC! I'm referencing a book as well. My end goal is to have an online timesheet form my employees can fill out that will feed into a report that tells me how much money to transfer between funds. It seems a little advanced for a novice but I'm working at it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.