dragonfly is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Question Connect to a database on my website

Hello;

What I'm trying to do is save my database somewhere so 3 of us can work in the file simultaneously however the only thing we have in common is the Internet.

I've saved our access 2007 database to my website. My hosting plan says "As a customer hosted on the Windows platform, you can automatically connect to any Access database stored within your web directory. To do so, you'll need to embed a connection string in the body of any script that needs to talk to a database."

I'm not sure what to do with this information - I'm not a coder but what I would like to do is have an access database on my desktop that links to the data tables stored on the website.

Could you please provide me instructions on how I could accomplish this?

I hope I'm explaining myself clearly enough. Thank you for your time in reading my post.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I've saved our access 2007 database to my website.
    so that means you have it sitting in a server folder, right??

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    My hosting plan says "As a customer hosted on the Windows platform, you can automatically connect to any Access database stored within your web directory. To do so, you'll need to embed a connection string in the body of any script that needs to talk to a database."
    that doesn't say anything. And as a matter of fact, web hosting companies are HORRIBLE at explaining what to do with any of this type of stuff. Who do you have?? GoDaddy?? Regardless of who you have though, calling the call center and asking about connection strings isn't going to do you any good because no one at those levels is going to know what to do (or even what a connection string is, for that matter).

If you're on a windows platform, you are probably using an IIS server. Simply connecting to an access database that's sitting in a server folder doesn't makes sense to me, but it probably can be done. Actually, I think it can, I've done it.

as far as connecting to your access data tables, that can be done. start here: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...6959a837d449c5

that should also give you more ideas on what search terms to use. You can also search for things like "IIS connect to Access" and "ms access connect remotely IIS server".

that should get you started. I've displayed access tables on a webpage before via this method, but it was so long ago I basically forgot how I did it. sorry.

Yes I have it in a folder on my website so I'm assuming it's a server folder?

I agree with your statement on the hosting company. They told me to do a websearch to figure it out but I was not very successful. I'm hosting with Startlogic.

They do have a tool to create a custom connection string however, it doesn't provide instructions what to do with it once you have it.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input. If there is some other way you can suggest other than linking the tables that would be more sensible - I'm all ears!

Thank you!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    website files are stored on servers my friend. so yes, it's in a server folder.

do you know any web languages?? there are tools out there to comvert your access table structures to mysql and sql server tables. they even shift on over your relationships for you.

for instance, this: http://www.bullzip.com/products/a2m/info.php

I used that before, but it takes forever. personally, I think your best option would be to use a web language, but u said u dont know much code and such.

care to tell me any more about your scenario?? other than the fact that all of you guys only share the internet in common??

by the way, startlogic is fine. I've talked to them before, and also the company based in London. The issue I had with startlogic is that the people running it are nowhere close in "entreprenuerial" mindset that Bob Parsons is. I just received an offer to work for GoDaddy the other day and remember everyone I talked to there. Bob hires the smartest people. It's so funny, he doesn't even ALLOW people to get interviews that can't pass certain tests. It's unreal, actually. IMO, you might want to consider switching to them, if you dont already have a relationship with your current host.

off the top of my head right now though, I can't think of another EASY way for you to share your stuff, unless you're on the same network.

Thank you! I'm going to look into GoDaddy hosting options. I was pointed in the direction of using a VPN to connect us together (we really only need to have 2 computers working together at a time). So I'm going to test out EasyVPN today to see if that will work for us.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The Access solution to your requirement is to publish the database to Sharepoint. There are commercial sharepoint hosting out there such as AccessHosting.com

You then share the backend data; you use an option to work locally - and then republish back to sharepoint. If both of you change the same record within the same republishing period during the republish it will seek resolution as to which value you wish to keep when it resyncs. If you will generally not be working on the same records at the same time..this won't occur.

Access does not natively work well, or at all, with a WAN between the Front End and Back End - - which is why one works locally and moves the table data back & forth to/from Sharepoint.

With Access2010 you can build web forms - which are browser based...again hosted on Sharepoint.

In either approach you definitely want to get an Access textbook from Amazon or a big book store and review the chapter on working w/ Sharepoint.

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.