Douglasrac is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Question Universal Search

Hi,

How can I make a universal search in my data base? I want to type in one field, like the search field (Ctrl + F) and it will search in any table and any field. Right now I can only search in on field at a time.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    you need code to do it, sir. If I'm thinking right...

Access sports only very FEW of the qualities that web technology does. There's really no comparison.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglasrac View Post
    Hi,

How can I make a universal search in my data base? I want to type in one field, like the search field (Ctrl + F) and it will search in any table and any field. Right now I can only search in on field at a time.

Can you give an example of what you might hope to find? I'd like to see the thought process that makes this some sort of optimal approach.
    Is there a benefit to the searcher? How does one interpret/understand/put the result into context?

Douglasrac is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm not so sure about what kind of information you want.

I have a database with 4 or more tables. Would be nice to have a search system that would search in all tables at the same time.

My database contains information about clients and their insurance. Which means that are data like license, register number, type of vehicle, phone numbers, payments, etc.

Right now I can open a form, press Ctrl + F over Client field, and then search for name, any part of the name of the client.
    But if I need to search for anything else is a problem.

First main problem: phone numbers. There are 3 fields for phone numbers (phone 1, phone 2, phone 3, meaning residential, comercial, mobile etc). If I need to search for a phone number I need to search that number 3 times. 1 for phone 1, if not found, change to phone 2, etc. That's not nice.

Second main problem: a very useful thing to search is license number. But license is in another form. This "second" form I open from a button in form 1 (clients). When I do this, I only see in the second form, records that are related to the client in form 1. So I can't navigate in everything, like Form Clients (all clients) but only in the records related to that client, which means the Ctrl + F does not help.
    So the solution is to go to the table, select the License Number column, and search with Ctrl + F.

But that is not what I think is a good searching system.

Isn't that a way to search all records in all columns of the database? Even if it's a query? Because even if I create a query, I imagine I will need to search column by column, like I do with phone numbers.
    Of course something more user friendly, like a form, would be nice. But I prefer simplicity over fancy.
    I was expecting Access has something like this. Doesn't seem too hard. Search in all cells of every table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.