Gray is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Form/SubForm Architecture Model

Hi

Access2002/2007
    WinXpPro Sp2

I wonder if anyone has any tips/ideas on a form/subform model I've been working on... largely unsuccessfully so far!

I'm trying to keep the Filter and OrderBy parameters of a main and subform synchronised... Why? My main form has custom buttons on it but I want to see ALL the records displayed in datasheet view so, these two aims are not compatible using one form. So..... I added a subform (let's call it the 'primary' subform) which is populated using an identical SQL Select as the main. The mainform navigation buttons move the records along for both (using current event code) which also moves some other linked-subforms along.

All very dandy until applying built-in (right-click) filters and sorts to main and/or primary forms. In order that the navigation buttons make sense, the filter and orderby params need to be identical on both main and 'primary' subform.

Yee gods! Little did I know what I was blundering into.... I've spent a mountain of time trying to do this using the ApplyFilter events. It occurs to me now that using these events is not the way to go. They work in varying sequences and are especially troublesome when clearing down filter fields.. indeed, in certain circumstances, the subfrom ApplyFilter event does not get fired at all.. instantly the two are out of sync.

I wondered if any of you real Access gurus knew of a more advanced way this might be achieved? Using AdvancedFilterSort runcommands, trapping tight-click commands or somesuch?

Maybe it's impossible?

Thanks

P.S. I don't want to use master/child links on my main and 'primary' subform because the datasheet will then only show one record.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

Simplest solution in Access 2007/2010: go to the form properties - tab format - and set the default view of your form to "Split form", then set the split form properties as you like.

greetings
    NG

Gray is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi

Thanks... I'd heard about the split form idea but was hoping to stay compatible back with 2002 onwards... maybe it's time I re-considered!

rgds

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.