wwallace86 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

at whits end

I am a new access user stuck on a reporting problem.

I am writing this for my mother in law who operates our church food bank, she needs to know who picked up what kind of food/baby supplies/ animal supplies/etc. on any given day and report back to the folks who provided us with grant money, subsidies, donations, etc.

I have 4 reports she would like, one is how many pounds each catagory were given out on a particular day i.e. pounds of A, Pounds of B, Pounds of C, etc and the total for the day I also need one for the week, month, and quarter so someone can just push a button, have it figured out, and print the report.

tables I am using are really basic.

table 1 is customer with name, address, etc, etc.
    table 2 is orders with item, pounds, date, and if it was deliveded or picked up (yes/no box)
    table 3 is items

pretty basic indeed. Any help with this would be a blessing for us. Thanks in advance.

I think a pro could knock this out in a matter of minutes but I'm just not savy enough to figure it out and am behind the 8 ball on this one. I can upload a copy of the database if you need it, just let me know.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    'just push a button' means GUI, need to build forms with buttons that have code behind them.

You can start by building queries that show the output you want. Then base reports on these queries. You might have to input the criteria manually until you learn to automate with code. By automate I mean a form where user inputs criteria such as an ending date and the code then takes this input and generates output (report). The reports you describe are summary in nature, a 'Totals' query, possibly with grouping on client and/or item category, filtered to a particular timeframe. Access Help has info on using the query and designers/wizards (I don't use the wizards).

Building queries and reports is not difficult. What gets tricky is the automation of processes. Requires code (VBA or macros). Access Help has some info on this also.

Make attempt and when you have specific issue, post question.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.