ritorocking is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Smile Help for Database Solution

Hi folks!

I am stuck with a problem in Access and VS and hope that you can help me out.

1. I have to create a Students Database with a system for generating Progress Reports with marks (Numerical Integers) from Tests.

2. I also need a Student-specific Fee System ie where i can record whether the student has paid the fees for a particular month or not. Details such as mode of payment are not required, the basic knowledge of whether he has paid it or not will do.

3. I want a system where i can see the income on a monthly basis, based on the formula Net Income = Fees - Expenditure, and i can enter the expenditure in a field or two (eg electricity, miscellaneous).

4. One of the advantages is that i will need the report card for only ONE subject, so there is no need to record the marks of other subjects. moreover all the students, irrespective of their batches, pay the same fees. SO if we can somehow get the *number* of students in the database, the problem in point 3 (income) can be solved easily, i hope.

5. Can there be an option that I'll be able to see the names of the students who have not paid the fees for that particular month?

6.I have an option to enter the Birthday of the student, can i get a reminder on the birthday of that student in the front screen or whatever so that i can wish him?

i have created the parent table about Student Info, but i don't know how to proceed by linking each student record with marks in the tests and fees.

I have the following resources:
    MS Access 2007
    MS Access 2010
    Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

I would be highly obliged if you kindly provide me with the instructions and/or code..

Thanks in advance, guys!

Cheers!

Rixxe is offline Blessed Bear
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    First things first, What would you like to build this with?
    Access *is* simple in certain ways, it's also on most computers and is easy to get going without that much learning.
    VS2010 (With whatever language you choose) depends on the language and the amount you already know about VB etc.

All of the points you have asked for *can* be done in access with some work. And ofc they can probably also be done in the other options that were given.

You should research these programs, find the limitations and ask yourself whether you will go over them, or need what they do not offer.

I've found with my data that a 2GB limit is too small, hence why I don't use access for work.

Lastly, coming here with a 'dream' and asking someone to help you build it is very unlikely (Unless they have huge amounts of time or something very similar).
    If you are building it yourself, then if you come to a problem then you can come back with individual problems, and i'm sure someone will try and help you.
    Else you could pay someone to build it for you!

This is just my opinion, but I think you need to research the programs selected, what they can do, what you might want to do in the future and whether you have the time to complete this project.

Good Luck.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Your requirements are mainstream. All you need is Access (2007 or 2010). The 2g file max is rarely a limit for nonprofits, small & medium size businesses.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.