thewelshman1943 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Help Please On Different Topics

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum and already require help if at all possible on the following:

Firstly, I have

Office 97 with developer tools
    Office XP 2002 developer edition
    Office Pro 2003
    Office Pro 2010

Which of these would be my best option for the following

I want to build an access database with a separate set up / install so you do not have to have access installed on the PC

I am building a spotter’s database for buses, lorries and train fleet numbers etc and have all the relevant info in excel spreadsheets which I want to put into the access database

I am not computer literate so only work with WYSIWYG so I require easy ways if possible

I have built one database for First Manchester Fleet list by importing data from Excel but I find that I cannot alter the info also cannot hyperlink in the actual access database

There are going to be approx 120 fleet lists

Can I build from scratch in design or datasheet then import the data from excel and if so…How?

Any help or direction would be gratefully received

Whichever Access is advised I want the database to work in anything

Thank You

Tony Maguire

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by thewelshman1943 View Post
    I want to build an access database with a separate set up / install so you do not have to have access installed on the PC
    Tony Maguire
    Regarding the 97 XP Developers edition -

I'm not sure about Access 2007 to Access 2010, but the XP Developers Edition would allows you to distribute the runtime MSAccess file (legally). I believe this has changed with newer versions of MSAccess (legality-wise) and I "think" it's no longer required to have the 'Developers' edition.

If distributing the MSAccess runtime (which is basically just a mini-version of MSAccess to only run MSAccess files (not develop)), you'll want to know what version of MSAccess the company is using. For example, I'm pretty sure you don't want to distribute the 97 runtime version (that comes with the 97 XP Developers edition) to companies who are running MSAccess 2007 or later.

The law used to be that if you purchased the 97 XP Developers edition, you could then freely distribute this with your developed mdb/mde file to the company you've developed it for so they could then run that app without the need for them to purchase MSAccess.

The 97 XP Developers edition also has a full rich-set of examples and other goodies for MSAcces developers.

You can create an install routine using InstallShield, VBScripting, or with just about any kind of install creating type program. I've used both InstallShield and vb scripting successfully. Typically it's just a matter of copying the files to their network drive (unless you have a bunch of API's and other special type module coding dependant upon dlls or ocx files which can require some extra steps such as registering the ocx file).

Help Please On Different Topics

Hi Pk

Thank you for replying......Although I have no experience whatsoever I may build with "I do not know"

I have a database full of UK train Numbers done by someone else on a commercial basis in 97 and it works in any access also without access on a machine

Looks like it is decision time

If I use 2010, what you say is I can use installshield and not break any laws

All I need now is help on the rest of my requests

Once again...Thank You Very Much

Tony Maguire

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    All I need now is help on the rest of my requests
    first, WHAT other requests? and second, if you're not computer literate (as you've said), why in the world are you attempting to build a database for someone?

actually, those are pretty relevant questions here...

One request was as follows

I have built one database for First Manchester Fleet list by importing data from Excel but I find that I cannot alter the info also cannot hyperlink in the actual access database

There are going to be approx 120 fleet lists

Can I build from scratch in design or datasheet then import the data from excel and if so…How?

Any help or direction would be gratefully received

These databases are for myself but if they turn out ok then I will give them to other spotters

"I am not computer literate so only work with WYSIWYG so I require easy ways if possible"

What I should have said is Access not comnputer.

Although I am 68yrs old it is never too late to try something new

Hoping these explanations are satisfactory to you

I came on this forum for help ...Not to be questionned

perhaps other forums are friendlier

Tony Maguire

I would like to say that PKSTORMY was very helpful

Windows XP Access 2003
    I apologize Tony if Adam's reply didn't seem friendly. I don't think Adam meant to be unfriendly. When someone posts that they want to develop an application to distribute to others or they want to convert data into a new system and it seems like they don't have a lot of development experience, it's encouraged to start with smaller applications and get familiar with the tool they want to use before making that leap.

If all the data currently exists in excel files (versus a commercial product), it'll make it easier to convert into MSAccess but if you're going to work with data from another product (such as a commercial product), you may want to first see if you can tap into the data directly.

If all the data is in excel files, the next step would be to see if you can easily convert (ie. import) these excel files into a database structure and what kind of structue to create to import them into (ie. relational structure). This is where dba/relational structure type of experience may come into play. Excel data can be tricky to import/convert (into any table structure) if it is not in a simple layout (ie. the data is not in a simple row by row/column by column/csv type setup and the excel files all have different kinds of headers, totalling fields and other equations built into the excel spreadsheet.)

Once you decide that you can fairly easily convert the excel spreadsheets into a table structure (and have an idea of what the structure will be), the next step is to decide what to design the backend/frontend in. MSAccess is usually a good choice for the frontend but the backend table structure can either be in MSAccess or in a db Server such as SQL Server or MySQL depending on the complexity and user requirements.

If you've never worked with MSAccess before, you may want to start out with a simple db before tackling the challenge of converting other data into an MSAccess application. Especially if you're thinking about making an MSAccess program you want to 'sell' or distribute.

There are challenges with developing these kind of applications such as multiple users, different MSAccess versions the company may have, the companies network setup, security, etc..etc... If you're new to the application development environment or have only created one or two other applications, creating a 'One application works for any company' type of application can be very challenging with any tool, not just MSAccess.

If you're deciding if MSAccess is the right choice or not to convert data/develop a program to distribute, it really requires a bit of experience with MSAccess and all the other factors an MSAccess application requires (the same as it would be if you were to ask if vb.net or another tool to develop with is the right choice). The nice thing about MSAccess is that it's fairly easy to learn and offers a lot of flexibility so don't be discouraged. It's the best tool to learn with. Just be careful to consider all the challenges of the development and deployment world before deciding to make the leap of creating an application you want to disribute.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have built one database for First Manchester Fleet list by importing data from Excel but I find that I cannot alter the info
    This can be due to a few different things. Either the table isn't setup correctly or the data form isn't setup correctly. Regarding the first, I will often import an excel file and then append that imported file into a table structure I've pre-built.

Hi PKSTORMY

Thank you for your reply

I am at the stage where I have numerous fleetlists distributed to me each month in excel format (Could be as many as 9500 records for each company). I have been into Access and used import keeping the headings box ticked. I have then managed to create data into forms then used design view to move all the fields around and make the records nice.

I now want to link each bus company so you can click on any one of them and work. I have tried hyperlink but it gives a warning message

I also want to put the find, add and delete icons into my part of the datbase where you fill in fields to chang them or fill in new data.

Reading your reply it seems that I am doing it wrong by creating forms

I am disabled and go bus, lorry and train spotting also photography of said vehicles etc. I get a lot of help off other guys doing the same thing with being disabled also they pass on information. I bought a train database a couple of years back done in access97 It is standalone and works on any computer. I just thought I would like to produce something like this and give it out freely to any spotter who wanted it (My way of giving something back).

If you could explain how I can put a shot of the image (Record) on here, you would be able to see what my end would look like

I also want to link

FirstBus, Arriva, Stagecoach Group etc etc so if I am in FirstBus I can then click the Stagecoach Image or Link and go straight to stagecoach

I have after being given advice to use my 2010 version as it has free runtime included

Sorry this is long winded but I am just trying to describe what I am trying to do,

I class myself very good with expression web 4 (Build websites for small companies)
    Not too bad with Word & Excel
    But ACCESS....Now on a steep learning curve as I have only learnt the above at the moment

BUT HEY|||||| I AM A WELSHMAN....We did not beat the English many years ago in battle but we are good with tourists and sheep.

I am sure I will eventually achieve my aim

Thank you very much

Tony

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.