darlaj5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Relationships I think

This program is drivin me crazy. I really need some help please. I have created three tables and then a query. The tables are connected in a relationship by the ID. All three tables show a FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME.

I need to know how to set it up so if I change the FIRST NAME OR THE LAST NAME in one table or query that it will change the name in all of the other tables and or query. So that every table has the same ID and the same name.

In other words these are common fields in all tables and the query but when i change it in one it doesn't change in the others.

Does anyone know how I need to set it up so the common field match.
    Thank you so much for your time and effort.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    in the relationships window, there is a "cascade updates" option. click on the relay and check the box that says so. it only works one way. you have to update the parent record, in the parent table. Cascading on works one way. One way street there. so make sure your updates are always targeting the parents.

I don't know of any other way to get around it, or other methods to use if you don't want to do it traditionally, but I'm sure if there is, June7 will follow right up here and say so.

as a side note, relays are not related to queries. Updates made in queries change the the source tables data automatically. Unless it's non-updateable, like Unions, Subqueries, etc..

Good luck to ya!

darlaj5 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I am so new to this I still don't get it. Thank you so much for trying. I reposted in more detail my situation, if you could please take a look maybe it will make more sence. Thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.