vt800c is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Question Can Sharepoint 'see' an Access Query Resultset?

I've been put on a team with another individual to develop a SharePoint list management program. Due to the size of the list (something like 300 daily users and lists that can exceed 20K lines) We decided to use a normalized Access database. I had intended on building queries and resultsets to interface with SharePoint.

I see Access TABLES and SharePoint lists can be joined, but is it possible to associate a SharePoint list with an sccess Query Resultset?

Or will I need SharePoint to feed me the parameters I can use in a make table query and dynamically link that table back to SharePoint?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    One links to Sharepoint lists identical to linking to an Access table in a split DB.

In terms of writing the query there is no difference.

vt800c is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    One links to Sharepoint lists identical to linking to an Access table in a split DB.

In terms of writing the query there is no difference.
    I appreciate that, but I'm looking at it not from the source of the query being a SharePoint list, but the source for the SharePoint list being the resultset of a query. I haven't seen anything specific about that, most notibly HOW to set up either end to accomplish that task.

Thank you for your response...It's good to know this forum is alive and well!

NTC is offline VIP
    the new Sharepoint List (proposed) appears to be a subset of an existing Sharepoint List , thus one would think that whatever service/object is sourcing to it could implement a query or filter........ a web form? .....;

you can investigate the Table Data Macro feature introduced in Access2010 and see if it can implement what you need....though it doesn't sound like it....

vt800c is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

More Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    the new Sharepoint List (proposed) appears to be a subset of an existing Sharepoint List , thus one would think that whatever service/object is sourcing to it could implement a query or filter........ a web form? .....;

you can investigate the Table Data Macro feature introduced in Access2010 and see if it can implement what you need....though it doesn't sound like it....
    I'm thinking it's going to need an action from SharePoint ( ) to trigger an event into Access that will fire the query, create the resultset and pass that back to SharePoint. ( ) I'm hoping my counterpart with SharePoint has as good a knowledge base that we can figure this out.

NTC is offline VIP
    don't think so. Access is the FE. Sharepoint sits on top of sqlserver - and so you can run queries there. So that's why my comment as to what sharepoint object needs this unique list - and can it apply its own query/filter...? but probably best to move to a sharepoint forum for more assist....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.