ETCallHome is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Where do I begin...

Hi,

Not sure where to begin, I am given an opportunity to write a software package for a small business. I am a Senior Natural/Adabas and Cobol Developer, so my programming knowledge is up to scratch. Furthermore, I have fully conversed in SQL, VB6 and Access. I started developing the product in Access, but as I got deeper into the process, my mind started wondering whether I am developing in the right place. As I search for answers, the replies all provide VB6 code solution to whatever I need to do. I then tried to redevelop what I had using VB6, the the startup process to develop VB6 does not appear in my program list and neither can I activate it or do not have a cooking clue how to activate the VB6 Project Explorer Window.

Search the net for more answers, I see most guys are indicating that I should use VB.Net instead.... I am not at a crossroad not sure where to begin or do I just stick to Access and when I am done, then convert or customise the application.

Furthermore, can VB6 programming code be used in all instances when developing in access. The macros in access is not as user friendly as expect (in my own opinion). Bear in mind that I am a legacy developer and we code virtually everything we need to get an application to work, here I am restricted,and when I hit errors, I am not sure where to start debugging, eg. create an exit cmd button and a save cmd button.. enter data and then click exit. The record is still saved to the table... so I had to remove the macro and programmatically code the exit process to ensure that it does not save the record when the exit button is clicked.

In fact, my entire development is based on code alone and does not use any macros at present. The aim is to put the software on the internet.

Any advice as to whether I proceed with Access or change to VB6 or VB.Net.

Thanks in advance for all your advice and input.

Earl

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    If you want your software on the web, Access is not the thing to use, although Sharepoint servers are readily available for almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCallHome View Post
    Search the net for more answers, I see most guys are indicating that I should use VB.Net instead
    As for that, the reason you hear so much about vb.net is simply because it's polarizing the business market. Namely, the corporate market. This .NET junk is Microsoft's baby, and the only reason that they developed it to begin with was so they could compete with other software out there that was obviously better and more compatible with "the web" at that point in time. And since then the concept has been embraced my many corporations for one reason or another. Some comply because Microsoft is a huge source of revenue for them in one way or another. Others do it because it's apparently "the thing to do". It's not the thing to do, and IMO, it's not very easy to work with. But what else do you expect from a company that was once had a monopoly on the tech market?? Only to be lingering the "oligopoly" side of things as it is now...

But at any rate, and again IMO, you don't even need to consider vb.net if this is not a big business you're working for. But on the web, it's a good idea to know it or become familiar with it because the web is the future, and the NEAR future for sure.

But I'll tell you one other thing about getting involved with MS server technologies like that. If you're going to stick with it and get involved in their languages, you might as well accept the fact that you'll be troubleshooting for years to come. It's not that they manufacture bad software, because they don't. But when you own more than 20 different programming languages denoted by singles letters of the alphabet and accompanying symbols, expect to deal with tiny complications until your hair falls out. I'm sure people at MS sometimes wonder what symbols they have to write when they get an update request. You don't get stuff like that when you open source technology, like PHP and MYSQL. They haven't been branched out into things like PHP#, PHP2, MYSQL.net, etc, etc...

Anyway, if you want vb.net, you might as well check out, at least for the heck of it, C#, J#, vbscript, ASP, ASP.net, ADO.net, yada yada, and some others that I can't think of. =)

good luck!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.