berni3883 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

re-use database?

HI!!!

ok.. so I have created my very first database. And what I need to know is... can i re-use the database?
    What I mean is... I have created a students database that contains information on 1 years' (3 semesters) worth of students.
    I will need to do this for each year. i have tried deleting all the information and saving just the database, but then when i went in to enter info for the next years students, the primary keys start again from where they left off instead of from 1.

Is there a way to wip out all the data and re-use the database?
    I'm not sure if I'm making any sense... please let me know if you can help!

thanks!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    a compact & repair - probably will reset the autonumber fields; which is what I think you seek.

But db designers will tell you that it shouldn't matter. The purpose of key fields is to be unique - that's their only purpose. They should not be expected to serve as a visual row numbering - - cause as you have discovered - - delete a row and they can't all magically renumber.... so you have gaps. (There are other ways to get sequential row numbering in forms/reports on the fly if needed...)

Also not that it matters a whole lot but....- one really doesn't have to delete data in order to reuse a database - - in your case presuming there is a date field - just query by year or date range or semester ID or something similar - - and you will only see the most currently relevant data.....just ignore & not see the old data that is still in the database. I would guess 90% of all data in all databases isn't current, but just held for the 'just in case' situation and historical trend analysis........

berni3883 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for your quick reply NTC... I came across a solution after much googling..

1. Create a new blank database
    2. Go to File--Get External Data--Import
    3. Navigate to the "old" database
    4. On the Import Objects screen hit the button for "Options"
    5. Check the boxes for "Relationships" and "Menus And Toolbars"
    6. Make sure the "Definition Only" is selected on the Import Tables area
    7. Then go to each object tab and hit the "Select All" button
    8. Then hit OK. Everything should come flying in
    9. Compile the database, make any Startup changes, and compact the database.
    10. Poof, all done

and it worked like a charm!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.