patpot44 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Import Problems

Hi,

I have a simple procedure that I can't seem to get to work. I am trying to import excel records into an existing Access table using the Get external data wizard but Access keeps rejecting the import. I have spent hours trying to figure out the problem but Access just keeps giving me the same error message. I even tried imporitng one column at a time but the same error keeps resurfacing.

So in an alternative move, I did manage to import the records into a new table but can't seem to figure out how to then take these records from the new Access table and import them into an existing Access table. The get external data wizard does not provide me with the option to append records from one Access table to another, just to import into a new table. The 2003 Access version allowed me to do this but not 2007. What's going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Patpot

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    and the error message said?

patpot44 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Error Message

The error message is the same regardless of the changes I make to the importing excel file and is ambiguous. It reads:

- 0 records were imported.
    - *If data was deleted, then the imported data does not match the field data type or field property size of the destination table.
    - *If records were lost, then the records you pasted contain primary keys that already exist in the destination table or violate referential integrity rules.

I assume the problem was with the nonmatching of field data or size and tried to make each column identical to what the destination table is but this did not work.
    I have not included a primary key column in the import file as i am appending to the destination table and thus the Access table should automatically insert a new primary key id to each incoming record.

Is there a way to transfer records from one access table to another?

Patpot44

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by patpot44 View Post
    - 0 records were imported.
    - *If data was deleted, then the imported data does not match the field data type or field property size of the destination table.
    - *If records were lost, then the records you pasted contain primary keys that already exist in the destination table or violate referential integrity rules.
    Well all those are pretty self explanatory! One of those are certainly the issue at hand.

In addition, Excel's objects and/or column cannot be associated with a primary key. that's a database concept only, to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by patpot44 View Post
    Is there a way to transfer records from one access table to another?
    YES, with an append query.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.